Wow, do we have some exciting news of the projects the members of our creative community are bringing to fruition. First are the headlines followed by the complete stories.
- Jarvis Grant informs us that he is participating in a group exhibition titled, “Legacy” at the Friendship Gallery in Chevy Chase, Maryland. The exhibition celebrates African American History Month and runs through March 4…
- Carmel O’Mara-Horwitz shares with us that (“…because of the class support…”) she has been named as this year’s illustrator mentor for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators! Congratulations Carmel! We know you will help a lot of deserving and talented artists!…
- Robyn Young sends us two exciting pieces of news. First she is eight months along and expecting a baby girl! Congratulations to the Young family! And Robyn is starting her new Creative Marketing Consultancy. She will be providing the following services: Branding (including logo and stationary design), Basic web design (or re-design), Blog content, Paid Search / Social Ad Marketing - Expert management of ads, ROI conversion tracking and setup, ad & offer consultation. Stay tuned because we will have more information on her new business venture in our next blog…
- Dennis Hill forwarded several beautiful images he shot of two Buff & Hensman and a Case Study Home. The assignment was created for future Pasadena Heritage events. Keep Dennis in mind when needing exquisite architectural photography and content creation. Thanks Dennis for sending them in…
- Ann Song reached out to us because she is looking for a “talented videographer” who is “…interested in creating a 4-part pilot video series that I'm working on called ‘In Studio With…’ The project will feature interviews with Los Angeles fashion designers in their studio spaces. Anyone interested can contact Ann directly…
- Shirin Raban and Dr. Saba Soomekh will be delivering a free lecture titled, “The Convergence of Tradition and Global Culture in the Persian Passover Ritual” on Sunday, March 26, as part of the USC Casden Institute Film Screening and Panel Discussion, Casden “Conversations” series. Preceding the lecture will be a short screening of the film, “The Fifth Question: Why is This Passover Different?” Please attend this informative presentation and support Shirin’s important work…
- Primo Catalano announces that the board game he has been developing, “Ritual” has just been promoted on Kickstarter. Ritual is “…a strategic tile-laying game of magical dominance for two to five players. And get this, according to the Kickstarter link Ritual now proclaims “188 backers pledged $45,373 to help bring this project to life” exceeding expectations! Way to go Primo! We wish you all the luck in the world with your new board game.
Those were the headlines, now here are the full stories. Read on and be inspired:
- Jarvis Grant- Photographer- “Tony, Just a note to let you know that I'll be participating in the exhibition,
The 2017 African American Art Exhibit
Celebrating African American History Month curated by Llewellyn Berry”
The Friendship Gallery
The Friendship Heights Village Center
4433 South Park Ave, Chevy Chase, MD
Exhibit runs February 6 – March 4, 2017
- Carmel O’Mara-Horwitz, Children’s Book Illustrator, Graphic Artist, Mentor- ‘Hi Tony, …I have some great news. I feel because of the class support I have been asked to be a mentor in my field! I won the contest and will be this year’s illustrator mentor for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators! I'm very excited and flattered. Thank you and all for the confidence boost! Here is the link to learn more!
I look forward to seeing you and catching-up more soon.
From SCBWI’s “Kite Tales” newsletter, Posted by Sarah Parker-Lee, Managing Co-Editor in Contests and Grants, Mentorship Contest:
Long-time SCBWI member Carmel O’Mara-Horwitz submitted this year’s winning proposal to mentor an illustrator in the art of building a portfolio for the children’s book market. The contest to pick her mentee from among our Associate and Full members begins January 3, 2017.
The six-month mentorship, which runs May 1–Oct. 30, 2017, will help the chosen illustrator to evaluate and improve the art in their portfolio and to create a couple new pieces as necessary. O’Mara-Horwitz will focus the mentee’s learning on the following:
• Understanding the difference between making fine art or a single drawing versus storytelling with character development for a picture book – and how to convey this understanding in a portfolio
• Discovering and understanding the audience for a successful picture book
• Understanding book construction, pacing, and layout and how to convey this in a portfolio
• Exploring the different platforms for storytelling such as pop-up book construction, apps and digital media
- Robyn Young, Founder and Chief Creator, Creative Marketing Consultancy
"Hey hey Tony, Happy New Year! Hope you've been tremendously well :)
I wanted to reach out with an update! I'm now 8 months preggo and counting down the days till baby girl Young makes her debut.
Also…I’ve put together some affordable packages for small businesses & entrepreneurs that I think your creative community could really benefit from. To start, I am offering packages in the following areas:
Branding - logo design, business card design, color scheme, fonts, stationery, t-shirts, bags, letterhead, etc.
Basic web design (or re-design) - website design using Shopify, WordPress or similar platform
Blog content - 4 posts, 8 posts or 12 posts per month (depending on needs of the business), with topic discovery and keyword research.
Paid Search / Social Ad Marketing - Expert management of ads, ROI conversion tracking and setup, ad & offer consultation
Please feel free to pass this along to anyone that you think could use these services or share in your update email :)
All my best,"
Founder & Chief Creator
Creative Marketing Consultancy
- Dennis Hill, Content Creator/Photographer- “Tony, Here’s the link to the recent work https://dennishill.exposure.co/
It shows 2 Buff & Hensman and a Case Study Home.
This series was for upcoming events presented by Pasadena Heritage.
Their mission is preservation, advocacy and education. For over 30 years they have been leaders in the So Cal preservation movement.”
Dennis Hill, Content Creation
626 345 0670
We Bring Your Vision to Light
- Ann Song- “Hi Tony, Hope all is well! Agnes Carrera introduced us a while back and I was asking her if she happened to know of a talented videographer [with some experience] who might be interested in creating a 4 part pilot video series that I'm working on called "In Studio With..."
Each 10 minute video would be an in studio visit with an LA fashion designer. Aesthetically and visually and editing wise, I was thinking about something like the following examples:
I'm interested in finding someone who might be interested in doing this first series for credit [and to receive exposure on our websites and through social media promotion]...
The goal would be to eventually get sponsors and then continue to create more series...which I would then like to continue working with the videographer and work out a fee...
Please let me know if you have any questions or if you happen to know of anyone...?
All my best,
VP, Creative + Fashion Director
- You are invited to USC Casden Institute Film Screening and Panel Discussion, Casden “Conversations”
with Shirin Raban and Dr. Saba Soomekh
Topic: “The Convergence of Tradition and Global Culture in the Persian Passover Ritual”
A short screening of the film, “The Fifth Question: Why is This Passover Different?” will precede the Conversation
Sunday March 26, 2017
4 pm to 5:30 pm
University of Southern California
Doheny Memorial Library, Room 240
Admittance is Free
Please RSVP one week prior to the event as space is limited.
Parking $12 in Parking Structure X on Figueroa
Shirin Raban (Aynehchi)
Brand Designer | Cine-Ethnographer | Educator
Lecturer at California State University Northridge
Instructor at UCLA Extension
Shirin Raban is an award winning Designer, Cine-ethnographer and Educator. She creates films that address the topics of identity, culture, art and education. She directed the short film, “VAPE:The Making of a Teaching Artist” for UCLA Arts and Architecture. Her Masters in Visual Anthropology is from USC. She is a Lecturer at UCLA Extension and CSUN, where she teaches courses in the practice and History of Graphic Design.
- Primo Catalano
ALUMNI: PRIMO CATALANO
Photography alumni (and previous Counselor for ArtCenter at Night), Primo Catalano, has recently launched a Kickstarter project.
ArtCenter alumni Primo Catalano (PHOTO ’12) has launched his own board game on Kickstarter! The game is called Ritual, a strategic tile-laying game of magical dominance for two to five players. In Ritual you take on the role of a powerful wizard, joining with other wizards to perform an intricate ritual of magic. To win the game, you must prove once and for all that YOU are the best wizard by having the most influence over the ritual at its completion.
According to the Kickstarter link Ritual now proclaims “188 backers pledged $45,373 to help bring this project to life” exceeding expectations! Way to go Primo! We wish you all the luck in the world with your new board game.
That’s it for now, and that’s quite a bit to think about. Those are some of the amazing things these incredible artists in our creative circle are creating. Please continue to support the members of our creative community as they design meaning within their careers. Thanks to all for their informative and inspiring contributions.
If you are not on the mailing list and would like to receive owe monthly notices of these Updates please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Conversely if you would like to be removed from the email list simply email email@example.com and write "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately once a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and design, and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Contributing Consultant to "Bokeh Magazine, The Art and Life of Photography," an online magazine for the iPads and iPhones.
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press and
"Mastering the Business of Photography: What the Pros Do When They Are Not Taking Incredible Photos" Skyhorse/Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals