- Choreographer and Dancer, Cristina Benedetti will be performing on America’s Got Talent with the dance group iLuninate on Wednesday, August 3, at 8:00 P.M. on television Channel KABC. Be sure to tune in and enjoy!…
- Art Center photography student Le Tian Zhou is reaching out for much needed book donations for students in Napal who she recently met. Art books would be greatly appreciated and can be dropped off at the Art Center, Center for Student Experience, CSE, Room #200B Hillside Campus up until Friday, August 19…
- National Geographic recently documented the work of Falcon Force Bird Abatement Services, Vahe DAla. Vahe has alerted us that the footage for two videos is now ready to be seen! The article, “Trained Falcons Serve as High-Flying Scarecrows” and videos may be viewed at http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/06/falconers-protect-farms/
- Barbara Bordnick announces another one of her incredible offerings to join her in, “a new 4-day workshop on photographing flowers in her Manhattan studio.” Not only will the participants be able to accompany her to the New York wholesale flower market, and learn how to professionally capture their images, but they will be able to take home, “2 gorgeous, archival pigment prints” of their work. This could be a life changing opportunity for those who attend…
- Photographer Sharon Cavanagh is reaching out to our community to find sponsors able to donate photography equipment and computers because she has recently been selected to be the Photography Instructor for the Downtown Women’s Center in Los Angeles and they are starting from the ground up. Please help her out if you, or someone you know, has access to the equipment she and her worthy students will need. Think of the lives you could impact by bringing photography into their worlds…
- Bill Youngblood encourages us to attend the “Celebrate San Marino” multimedia event that traces the city of San Marino for the last one hundred years. Three years in the making, The San Marino Centennial Photography Project will be on display for the whole community to view and enjoy from Monday, August 15th to September 30th at The Crowley Art Gallery on The San Marino High School campus…
Those are the headlines, now here are the complete and fascinating stories:
- Cristina Benedetti, Choreographer, Dancer- “Hello Tony!!! I will be performing on America’s Got Talent next week as a special guest with the group iLuminate so that is exciting too!!…
I will actually be on AGT on Wednesday evening (8:00, KNBC). Will be performing with a well known band Fitz and the Tantrums. We will be wearing robot suits so you will not maybe see my face but just look for the best performers…that for sure will be me !!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!! ;-)
- Le Tian Zhou, Photography student at Art Center-
From the ACCD Center for Student Experience: “Dear Faculty and Staff, Recently, one of our Photography students, Le Tian Zhou, recognized the need to make time for passion projects outside the classroom. She connected with the Shree Mangal Dvip Boarding School in Nepal to take photos and document their life, educational system, and community needs. It was apparent right away that this community needed more help.
Nepal faces it’s own difficulties in terms or resources and community outreach, and to say the least the 2015 earthquake presented additional challenges to the country and its people. The Shree Mangal Dvip Boarding School has been damaged, nearly beyond repair and many of its students travel long distances and are forced to learn in less than adequate environments.
We reach out to you as ArtCenter community members who can influence the world through Art, Design and Education. It is our hope that you will donate books to expand the learning that happens in Nepal, specifically at the Shree Mangal Dvip Boarding School. Below is a message from Letian and a list of literature genres that we are hoping to collect and mail abroad by the end of the semester. Also, below are links to the boarding school’s website and donation site, as well as moving videos that touch on this important need. Le Tian has also been kind enough to include photos from her trip so that you can see the students you will be impacting and their current educational environment! https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/89136058@N04/sets/72157671370038415/
If you are unable to donate books, please consider other methods of donation as well as the possibility of volunteerism.
Please drop off all book donations to the CSE (Hillside, Rm200B) by Friday, August 19th.
From an email from Le Tian: “…Currently there are two ways to help: either through making online donations or mailing necessities to them directly. However, I learned in my recent travels that Customs in Nepal regularly confiscate anything other than books. To make a money donation, you can go to http://www.rinpoche.com/hcfa.htm, and for those that have books to donate, here is list of types of books that they need.
Fine art, Design, Photography, Books with more graphic less text, Greek orthodox & Russian orthodox ikons, First Nation history, Novels for young adults, Ghibli studio- Japanese, Tibetan art, Art books for small kids, Books appropriate for kids 4 years to early 20s.
Thank you for all the support. I would really appreciate it if you would love to help.”
Preview YouTube video HISTORY OF NEPAL village live at the foot of MANASLU HISTORY OF NEPAL village live at the foot of MANASLU
Preview YouTube video Education For The Forgotten Children Of The Himalayas
The Shree Mangal Dvip Boarding School:
Slide show: http://youtu.be/wdWzuhEUy9w
Village life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE0EneDT5c4
- Vahe DAla- Falconer, Photographer, Owner of Falcon Force Bird Abatement Services- “Hi Tony. Hope you are doing well. Last year National Geographic spent 6 days making a documentary on Falcon Force Bird Abatement Services, after a long-long year they finally released the footage today.
There are 2 videos within, very interesting…”
Follow us on Instagram: FalconForce
Here's a link to the article: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/06/falconers-protect-farms/
- Barbara Bordnick, legendary fashion, portrait, nude and floral Photographer-
4-Day Flower Photography Workshop with Barbara Bordnick, August 2-5, 2016
Barbara Bordnick is offering a new 4-day workshop on photographing flowers in her Manhattan studio. To keep the workshop as intimate as possible, only 4 students will be admitted. Along with demonstrations of lighting and set-up techniques for shooting flowers in the studio, the workshop begins with a trip to the New York City wholesale flower market to select flowers. Come see what everyone is raving about and go home with 2 gorgeous, archival pigment prints of your work. Price: $2,500.00
Watch the video and sign up at http://www.barbarabordnick.com
(Special discounts with hotel rates available for workshop students.)
I called the DWC earlier in the week and discovered who to speak with regarding starting photography classes for the women. I found they don’t offer classes but they had to ask around to see if the women were interested and this week, they told me they were! I was thrilled. It will take some time to set up the classes as I have to pursue ways of getting cameras and computer equipment from people and companies who could offer that to the center. If you have any ideas, please let me know. I’m also waiting to start training as I will go through their volunteer training. I’m excited to be creating classes for them. They help so many women.
I hope you’re well. I love receiving your updates.
Sharon Cavanagh Photography
Los Angeles & Melbourne/Australia
USA: (213) 400 5191
- Bill Youngblood, Photographer- “Celebrate San Marino - Save the Dates!
Three years in the making, The San Marino Centennial Photography Project will be on display for the whole community to view and enjoy from Monday, August 15th - September 30th at The Crowley Art Gallery on The San Marino High School campus. The exhibition will be presented in multi-media form featuring images displayed in both print and video forms. Enjoy a visual record of events, moments, faces and groups that make our community such a wonderful place to live.
A public evening reception for residents to gather, view and enjoy the exhibition will be held during the exhibition. Watch for further news with an exact date and time very soon. Please join us to celebrate San Marino, this community which has been both home and foundation to generations.
When the exhibition is over, the images will be placed in the permanent archives of The Huntington Library to be available to those in the future who might wish to view and research the San Marino’s life and times as it began it’s second century.
Thanks to all of you who have been so generous in your support!”
Bill and Terry
Once again they have done it. Those are some of the amazing things these incredible artists in our creative circle are creating. Please continue to support the members of our creative community as they design meaning within their careers. Thanks to all for their informative and inspiring contributions.
If you are not on the mailing list and would like to receive owe monthly notices of these Updates please contact email@example.com. Conversely if you would like to be removed from the email list simply email firstname.lastname@example.org and write "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately once a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and design, and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Contributing Consultant to "Bokeh Magazine, The Art and Life of Photography," an online magazine for the iPads and iPhones.
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press and
"Mastering the Business of Photography: What the Pros Do When They Are Not Taking Incredible Photos" Skyhorse/Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals