Here are the headlines for the latest news in this Update:
- SchmoozeFest! on Thursday, May 7 (not May 8) at Art Center’s South Campus, 950 South Raymond Avenue, Room #231, from 6:30 to 9:30. Be there or be square. If you wish to present your latest inspirations you will have ten minutes, and the presentations will be followed by a networking session. The event is open to everyone so come and have some fun.
- Classes for the summer term at Art Center’s Public Programs start May 9, and “Crafting a Meaningful Career-Part One- Discovering the Dream” will begin Tuesday, May 12 at 7:00 P. M.
“Crafting a Meaningful Career- Part Three- Fulfilling the Dream” will begin Thursday, May 14 also at 7:00. Part Two will be offered in the fall term…
- Amy Gaskin fills us in on the awards she has been getting as a result of her beautiful photos that include her images of “California Chrome's journey to the Triple Crown”…
- Mallory Morrison informs us that there will be a Gallery Show Reception for her work at the Fathom Gallery in Los Angeles on Thursday, April 30 from 5:00 P. M. If you get a chance attend the show to see her breathtaking underwater fashion photography…
- Laura Elliott directs us to watch the uplifting video of her incredible travels, and she announces her work as an inspirational speaker with her stories about “travel, spirit and passion”…
- The Eugene Smith Grant in Humanistic Photography is offering a $30,000 Grant for Humanistic Photography and they are accepting applications up to May 31…
- Wendy Brill-Wynkoop, Chair of the Photography Department at The College of the Canyons sent photos she shot of the lecture delivered to The Parallax Club in March…
Now here are the extended stories and links behind the headlines. Enjoy, and be prepared to be inspired by the accomplishments of our creative community members:
The next SchmoozeFest (if you haven’t heard by now) is Thursday, May 7, not May 8 as erroneously announced in the last Tony Luna- Update email. Thank you to the many TLC supporters who notified me of the mistake. My bad.
There have been a number of participants who have asked if they would be able to share their incredible journeys so come for the presentations and stay for the opportunity to mingle with our highly talented and motivated creative like-minded people.
The Summer Term for all the informative and exciting classes at Art Center’s Public Programs will begin May 9, 2015.
There is still plenty of room in the “Crafting a Meaningful Career” classes so don’t let the summer pass you by when you get the inspiration and direction needed to start on the your next career adventure.
"Crafting a Meaningful Career- Part One, Discovering the Dream" will run from Tuesday, May 12 to Tuesday, August 11, 7:00 to 10:00 P. M.
"Crafting a Meaningful Career- Part Three, Fulfilling the Dream" begins Thursday, May 14, run for six weeks and end on Thursday, June 18, 7:00 to 10:00 P. M.
"Crafting a Meaningful Career- Part Two, Fulfilling the Dream" will be offered in the fall term.
For more information about these and other classes you may call Art Center at Night at 626-396-2319, or you may go to their web site at http://www.artcenter.edu/atnight/main.jsp And you can always contact Tony Luna at email@example.com, or call 818-842-5490
- Amy Gaskin, Photographer- “Hi Tony, so great to hear from you. You are the maestro of always knowing what is going on and making things happen! I would love to come to the next SchmoozeFest.....
On another note...some good news: the Press Photographers (PPAGLA) honored me as Student Photojournalist of the Year Saturday and (the) Nikon rep flew in to present a camera! Met lots of wonderful folks at the banquet....that was the best part.
…the story on California Chrome's journey to the Triple Crown has been a large part of my year. The version in our school newspaper won Third in the National College Media Association. A first for SMC to be on the national level. The story was one section of the portfolio as submitted to PPAGLA. It might be fun to present the work and tell the story at a SchmoozeFest, if you think it is appropriate. The story ended up second on Google behind Sports Illustrated's and has been a great entry to meeting some incredible photogs and opportunities.
Hope all is well with you.”
- Mallory Morrison, Fashion Photographer-
Event Invitation: Gallery Show Reception April 30
Thursday, April 30 at 5:00 P. M.
Fathom in Los Angeles, California
Celebrate the end of the Month of Photography Los Angeles (MOPLA) and join me at FATHOM Gallery in Downtown Los Angeles. April has been an exciting month for FATHOM
Los Angeles, CA 90013
P / 310-694-4432
- Laura Elliott, Author, Travel Storyteller, and Inspirational Speaker-
Greetings! I'm thrilled to reconnect with you after being away so long. I've learned many things on my journey about how to stay positive in adversity and how important it is to keep inspired especially during life's darkest moments.
I'm here to help you.
Watch the Video- https://vimeo.com/123242846
I'd like to offer you a free download of my April inspiration illustrated calendar. (My hope is that it will give you a smile!) I don't know about you, but I'm personally looking forward to "Hug an Australian Day" and "Eggs Benedict Day":)
The little illustrated inspirations are rooted in my 90-day spontaneous journey around the world. If you like, you can read more about the trip here. I'll be posting more inspiration from the trip over the next few months. Each person, each place had loads to teach me. Each experience, especially the ones that scared me the most, were the ones that helped me find my calm center.
Thanks for your support as life continues to shape my writing pursuits. It's a pleasure to take this journey with you!
Looking for an inspirational speaker for your event/class? Contact me here.
Laura Elliott, stories about travel, spirit and passion:
- $30,000 Grant for Humanistic Photography Accepting Applications
In the photographs that earned Joseph Sywenkyj the 2014 Eugene Smith Grant in Humanistic Photography, he portrays how Ukrainian families have been profoundly and subtly affected by the revolution and Russia’s war against their nation. "It is through stories of families who have been seriously impacted physically, mentally and economically by the crisis that we will gain insight into and how events in the country are influencing society as a whole,” Sywenkyj says. Submit your photojournalistic and documentary photography by May 31st to be considered for the 2015 $30,000 grant, one of the $5,000 fellowships awards and more.
Learn more about previous winners and the Fund here :http://www.smithfund.org
Photos by Wendy Brill-Wynkoop (c) 2015, Department Chair, Photography, College of the Canyons
Thanks again to Wendy Brill-Wynkoop and Lee White of the College of the Canyons, Valencia, California for allowing me to present the lecture, “Passion as the Focus of Your Portfolio” to the Parallax Photography Club. It was an honor to speak to such a talented and committed group.
Please continue to support the members of our creative community as they create meaning within their careers. Thanks to all for their informative and inspiring contributions.
If you are not on the mailing list and would like to receive owe monthly notices of these Updates please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Conversely if you would like to be removed from the email list simply email email@example.com and write "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately once a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Contributing Consultant to "Bo-keh Magazine, The Art and Life of Photography," an online magazine for the iPads and iPhones.
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press and
"Mastering the Business of Photography: What the Pros Do When They Are Not Taking Incredible Photos" Skyhorse/Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals