Synopsis of what is new in this Update:
- Our Spring SchmoozeFest will be held in less than two weeks, on Thursday, May 8, from 6:30 to 9:30 P. M, at Art Center’s South Campus, 950 South Raymond Avenue, Pasadena, California. All are invited for this free evening of inspirational presentations by any attendees wishing to share news of their latest accomplishments and followed by a spirited networking session…,
- All classes for the spring term at Art Center at Night begin Monday, May 12. Specifically “Crafting a Meaningful Career- Part One- Discovering the Dream” starts on Tuesday, May 13 at 7:00 P.M. As of now there is plenty of room in the class. So fulfill that promise to yourself and begin your transition to a new, more meaningful career…
- Chuck Chugumlung proudly announces his involvement in the City of Burbank’s first “Game+Hack” event for computer programmers, designers, as well as novice enthusiasts to conceive, create, and code games and useable software. He is also reaching out to Art Center students interested in honing their skills in software development…
- Velvette Delaney lets us know about her beautifully simple “quickky cards” product stocked full of recipes for cocktails and smoothies. She also invites us to check out her Kickstarter site to help her get her project going. If you attended the last SchmoozeFest you will see how she followed through on her latest creations…
- Dennis Hill informs us about the presentation he will be delivering next month for Pasadena Heritage. It will be one of five unique programs celebrating national historic preservation.
- Amy Gaskin shares that two of her images were selected by the Curator and Head of Wallis Annenberg Photography Department at LACMA for the show of top 100 images for American Photographic Artists (APA). The show is one night only before it goes on tour to three major ad agencies over the next year…
- Christine Caldwell has had some wonderful press recently with the publication of three of her “Ocean Color Photograms” in the “Findings” section of the April edition of Harper’s Magazine. In addition she will be participating in the Open Market, May 25th, 10am-5pm at One Colorado in Old Town Pasadena…
- The artist, KODDRIP, invites all to the opening & launch party of his visual art show,"K.REATURES - battle with dichotomy” in Los Angeles, which takes place on June 5th, 2014, Thursday from 6pm at the Think Tank Gallery. Please RSVP by June 1st…
- Even though the opening event for the showing of JT Burke’s “wonderfully wiggly images” at the Photo Independent fair at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood has past (this last weekend) you can still check out his web site to enjoy his fanciful creations…
- And, Tony Luna’s second book, “Mastering the Business of Photography: What the Pros Do When They Are Not Taking Incredible Pictures” was recently released by Skyhorse/Allworth Press. Find out what professional photographer’s do the other eighty-five percent of the time when they are not creating beautiful images.
That was the synopsis, now here's the full story behind the headlines:
The next SchmoozeFest is scheduled for Thursday, May 8 (the Thursday before the beginning of the Summer Term) from 6:30 to 8:30 P. M. at the Art Center South Campus. Start getting anything together that you would like to present at this wonderful presentation and networking event.
All are welcome!
- Art Center at Night/Public Programs-
All of the great Art Center at Night/Public Program classes will being Monday, January 13 at the Art Center at Night South Campus, 950 South Raymond Avenue, Pasadena, California. In addition all three “Crafting a Meaningful Career” classes will be offered.
Our class dates:
- The following classes will begin the week of January 13, 2014-
"Crafting a Meaningful Career-Part One, Discovering the Dream" will run for fourteen weeks from Tuesday, May 13 to Tuesday, August 12, 7:00 to 10:00 P. M.
"Crafting a Meaningful Career-Part Two, Forming the Dream" will start Thursday, May 15 and run for six weeks to Thursday, June 19, 7:00 to 10:00 P. M. Part One is a prerequisite for Part Two.
"Crafting a Meaningful Career-Part Three, Fulfilling the Dream" begins Thursday, July 3 for six weeks, and ends Thursday, August 7, 7:00 to 10:00 P. M. Completion of Part Two is a prerequisite for Part Three.
For more information about these and other classes you may call Art Center at Night at 626-396-2319, or you may go to their web site at
And you can always contact Tony Luna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From Chuck Chugumlung, Graphic Designer, User Interface and Online Advertising Guru- “Hi Tony, I hope all is well. I just wanted to update you on my progress. My associate Catherine and I together with the Burbank YMCA are gearing to launch for the city of Burbank’s first "Game+Hack", an event at which computer programmers, designers and others interested in software development collaborate intensively for a day or more on a software or mobile app project. Generally, a hackathon has a specific focus, which can include the programming language used, the operating system, an application, an API, or the subject and the demographic group of the programmers.
The website is http://www.burbankgamehack.com. I hope you find it informative.
Game+Hack (pronounced ‘game and hack’) is a venue for self-expression and creativity through technology, as well as a social and educational event where tools are provided to more novice enthusiasts to allow them to collaboratively conceive, create and code games and usable software.
I am looking to do some outreach to the design students at Art Center College of Design, particularly the interactive, new media, entertainment design, and 3d animation student programs. If you have any contacts for us, I would very much appreciate it.
This event has been my ‘passion’ for the last 6 months. And I am very grateful for your guidance in getting me to this point in my career. Thank you eternally for your dedication to me, your students, and all the creative people who you've guided through the years.
Chuck Chugumlung- Creative Director
mobile: 323 215 7580
fax: 323 517 2061
- Velvette Delaney, Principal, Designer and Owner of dewdrop studios- “Hi friends! It’s on! I’ve created a Kickstarter of my very own - and I’m so excited!
Check out my ‘quikky cards!’ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/816011855/quikky-cards
They’re useful and beautifully simple little card collections with either cocktail or smoothie recipes.
I’ve got some cool categories to pick from, including sets of 25 cards, in 6 different categories, boxed kits with 100 cards to mix and match, a deck of cocktail playing cards, and custom giclee poster prints of your favorite drink (with your name included).
Check it out, get some cards, spread the word - any and all is greatly appreciated! If you’ve got any questions, be sure to write in the comments section and I’ll respond asap.
I really appreciate your support!
Thanks so much,”
velvette de laney | principal designer & owner | dewdropstudios
contact me: 323.388.3767
check me out: http://www.dewdropstudios.com
- Dennis Hill, Content Creator, Photographer- “Here is the information regarding the presentation I’ll be making next month.”
One of five unique programs celebrating national historic preservation presented by Pasadena Heritage.
May 31st at Altadena Community Church. 10:00 - 12:30 p.m.
943 E Altadena Dr
Altadena, CA 91001
$15 for nonmembers, $12 for members.
DENNIS HILL CONTENT CREATION
626 345 0670
- Amy Gaskin, Photographer- “The photo gods must have smiled upon me. I've had the good fortune to have 2 of my images selected by the Curator and Head of Wallis Annenberg Photography Department at LACMA for the show of top 100 images for American Photographic Artists (APA). The show is one night only before it goes on tour to 3 ad agencies over the next year. It will be published in a book and then on display at the PhotoLA festival, 2015.
The 100 selected images will be on display for just one evening (April 26) to kick off the tour before moving to TBWA\Chiat\Day, Deutsch and Ignited agencies for display over next year and then to PhotoLA Festival, 2015.
- From Christine Caldwell, Fine Art Photographer- “Hi. Currently I have some wonderful press on Illuminated Negatives that I would like to share with you. Harper's Magazine published three of the Ocean Color Photograms as illustrative art for the Findings page in their April issue. Equally exciting, my cyanotypes were featured in the ever creative Art Zine, Kung Fu Breakfast. Viewing links are located below.
SAVE THE DATE: I will be participating in the Open Market May 25th 10am-5pm at One Colorado in Old Town Pasadena. You will see artwork for sale from students, faculty and staff of Art Center College and Pasadena City College. Please stop by and check out my NEW 'ready to hang' cyanotypes.
Welcome to the World Tour "K.REATURES - battle with dichotomy" by KODDRIP
“You are cordially invited to the opening & launch party of this visual art show in Los Angeles, which takes place on June 5th, 2014, Thursday from 6pm at the Think Tank Gallery. The show lasts until June 15th, 2014. Please RSVP by June 1st, 2014 the latest."
You may RSVP by clicking here, http://www.eventbrite.com/e/kreatures-los-angeles-tickets-11167701897
"I am very thrilled to see you in LA!”
(Editor’s note: Unfortunately the event noted in this email happened April 25-27 but it is worthwhile to click on Jeff’s web site link to appreciate his fantastic artistry…)
- “Jeff” JT Burke, Artist, Photographer- “Hi Tony, I'll be showing more wonderfully wiggly images this weekend at the Photo Independent fair at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood.
Gala opening Friday night, then continues all day Saturday and Sunday (April 26-27). I'll be in Stage 7, booth 201.
Not coincidentally, the very popular Paris Photo is appearing right across the street at Paramount Studios. Dedicated photo fans can put their feet and eyeballs into high gear and see both shows.
There will be a large preview of a mural work-in-progress, as well as my first images printed on canvas. I hope you can stop by.”
Can't make it? See my work online at the website http://www.JTBurke.com.
- Tony Luna’s second book, “Mastering the Business of Photography: What
the Pros Do When They Are Not Taking Incredible Pictures” was recently
released by Skyhorse/Allworth Press. Find out what professional
photographer’s do the other eighty-five percent of the time when they
are not creating beautiful images.
Please continue to support the members of our creative community as they create meaning within their careers. Thanks to all for their informative and inspiring contributions.
If you are not on the mailing list and would like to receive owe monthly notices of these Updates please contact email@example.com. Conversely if you would like to be removed from the email list simply email firstname.lastname@example.org and write "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately once a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Contributing Consultant to "Bokeh Magazine, The Art and Life of Photography," an online magazine for the iPads and iPhones.
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career," Allworth Press, and
"Mastering the Business of Photography: What the Pros Do When They Are Not Taking Incredible Pictures," Skyhorse/Allworth Press.
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals