Synopsis of what is new in this Update:
- Shirin Raban requests that you vote for the film she created at the USC Center for Visual Anthropology, “There is No Other Way”…
- Barbara Bordnick notifies us of two of her incredible upcoming flower photography workshops in May and June at her Manhattan studio…
- Christine Saiyan sends us information on her yoga workshops and also on her Yoga Retreat in Tuscany in May…
- Brooke Fredrick urges us to donate the her Kickstarter project,”BAFreedom, USA,” A Six Month Photographic Journey Through the Unites States. Photography. Adventure…
- Ezekiel Wheeler has given us a link to his latest Automotive Styles blog with a photo of the new Lamborghini Aventador…
- Amy Fierstein brings us news of her promotion and her recent wedding! Congratulations Amy!…
- Gabor Kalman let us know that his film, “There Was Once” is now available for purchase!...
Now here are the complete stories:
- From Shirin Raban, Graphic Artist and Instructor at Cal State University- Northridge- “Dear Friends, Colleagues and Family. As you may know, I am currently an MA student at the USC Center for Visual Anthropology. I just participated in the "USC Shoah Foundation Student Voices Contest". I am one of the three contestants who took Holocaust footage to make a 6-10 minute film.
I would really appreciate it if you would take a moment to watch and vote to determine the winner. The voting will close at 5 PM on February 27th.
The name of my entry is ‘There is No Other Way!’
Just click on the star below to indicate your vote.
Vote on this year's nominees! | USC Shoah Foundation:
USC Shoah FoundationThe Institute for Visual History and Education650 West 35th Street, Suite 114Los Angeles, CA 90089-25711 (213) 740-6001© 2007–2014
- From Barbara Bordnick, Legendary fashion, portrait, nude and floral Photographer
“A Flower That Never Dies”
Create at flower that never dies. Barbara Bordnick, author of three innovative, best-selling books, “SEARCHINGS: Secret Landscapes of Flowers,” offers two new flower photography workshops in her Manhattan studio, located in the historic Photo/Flat Iron District of Manhattan. Ms. Bordnick is a renowned fashion, portrait, nude and floral photographer who has taught workshops all over the world. Due to the popularity of her workshop in flower photography she has added two more:
May 16 and 17, 2014
June 19 and 20, 2014
To keep each workshop as intimate and hands-on as possible, only six students per workshop will be admitted. Along with demonstrations of lighting and set-up techniques for shooting flowers in the studio, workshops begin with a trip to the New York City wholesale flowers market to choose flowers. Each student may go home with a gorgeous, archival print of her/his own flower which will never die.
Come see why everyone loves these workshops!
Each workshop is $950.00 (plus $40.00 optional print fee).
Sign up with a $450.00 deposit and watch the video at
or email: email@example.com
before April 5, 2014
“In the flower genre—which has become predictable cliche—Barbara has invented a new visual experience.” -Duane Michals
- From Christine Saiyan, Yoga Instructor and Graphic Designer- “Hello Students & Friends. I am so thrilled to share the gift of yoga with all of you…I have a huge appreciation for what it brings to my life as I share and receive the goodness…” Here is a schedule of Christine's upcoming yoga events:
Italy Yoga Retreat in Tuscany, Italy
May 12th.- 18th.
Join us for a breathtaking retreat in the Spring! Practice yoga and enjoy art, great food, wine, beautiful scenery and the company of good friends…
- From Brooke Fredrick, Photographer- “Hi Tony, I hope you are doing well! I have just launched a Kickstarter page for a 6 month photography road trip I will be taking in April.
Please take a look and spread the word!”
A Six Month Photographic Journey Through the Unites States. Photography. Adventure. BAFreedom USA.
This April, I will be hitting the road to scour the gutters and pillars of our society, in my good ol' Ford Coach House van. I'm asking you to join me on this trip to help unveil the people and the places our country does not shine with the limelight. Help me show you the truth of BAFreedom in the USA...
I will be taking this road trip, and shooting photographs (and video) until I'm good and done. My friend, Ian Beaudoux, will also be documenting in a series of short videos. I plan to develop as much film as I can on the road to keep you and myself up-to-date. Upon my return I will be hand-printing all of my favorite photographs to be shown in a gallery/art show (venue to be announced) which you are all invited to attend. Along with the show I will be making a big, fancy coffee table book showcasing all of my work from the journey (will be available for purchase)...
I have been saving up my own money to fund my van, gas, food, shower, and some of my photography supplies. However, in order to fully have enough money for photography supplies, the book and show when I return...I will need your help!
https://www.facebook.com/bafreedomusa (For updates while on the road)
- Ezekiel Wheeler, Automotive Culture Consultant- Ezekiel has provided us with a link to his Automotive Styles blog with a photo of the new Lamborghini Aventador, “Lamborghini Aventador Not Designed for a Drive-Thru.”
- Amy Fierstein, (New) Director of Marketing, Communications and Design at Chrysalis),
Amy sent in the following note in a recent email, “I’m doing quite well. I've been at Chrysalis for over 3 years now. Promoted to Director of Marketing (my actual title - Director of Marketing, Communications and Design). I got married last weekend! Yay! It was a blast.”
Congratulations Amy from all of us in the TLC community!
- Gabor Kalman, Producer/Director, International Documentary Association- Gabor’s film, “There Was Once” is now available for purchase!
There Was Once…
Tells the remarkable story of Gyöngyi Magó a Catholic high school teacher in a small Hungarian town. While researching local history she discovers the lost Jewish community that once thrived there. Engaging her students she teaches tolerance and fights prejudice in the face of an emerging cultural and political right wing reality, demonstrating that one person can truly make a difference.
There Was Once… has had a profound effect on audiences in the United States and Hungary, in film festivals, theatrical and special screenings.
There Was Once… is now available for purchase and is recommended for Middle School, High School, College, and Adult Audiences.
Colleges, Universities, including Public Performance Rights: $170.00
High Schools, Public Libraries, Government Entities: $100.00
Home Use: $29.95
+ Tax and Shipping
Place your order http://www.therewasoncefilm.com/buy.html
A version with Hungarian or English subtitles is available in Hungary from
View the trailer
Please continue to support the members of our creative community as they create meaning within their careers. Thanks to all for their informative and inspiring contributions.
If you are not on the mailing list and would like to receive owe monthly notices of these Updates please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Conversely if you would like to be removed from the email list simply email
email@example.com and write "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately once a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Contributing Consultant to "Bokeh Magazine, The Art and Life of Photography," an online magazine for the iPads and iPhones.
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals