Synopsis of what is new in this Update:
- Farewell to a dear friend…
- Our "Crafting a Meaningful Career" Parts One and Two have gotten off to a flying start for the spring term…
- Thanks to the good people of Woodbury University for allowing me to deliver "The Art and Craft of the Pitch" on January 9…
- Ezekiel Wheeler recounts the progress of his Auto Styles venture and gives a preview of the coming year's events and projects…
- News from the Athens Institute for Education and Research for a Call for Papers and Participation in the 3rd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, 4-7 June 2012, Athens, Greece…
Here are the updates!
- On the morning of January 16, a great family man, friend, mentor, and artist, Barry Wetmore, passed away. Barry (shown above with his lovely wife Gail) was given a beautiful memorial at the Armory Center for the Arts in Pasadena, "Wetmore's Closing Show," in which some of those who were privileged to spend time with him were able to share stories of the great impact he had on their lives. Bitter-sweet. We all miss you Barry and thank you for your many gifts, and will treasure the lessons we learned from you.
In lieu of flowers, the family would like to suggest a tax deductible donation in the memory of Barry Wetmore to the Armory Center for the Arts to support children's art education in Pasadena.
- Our "Crafting a Meaningful Career" classes have gotten off to a great start this spring term at the Art Center College of Design-Public Programs. We have a large class in "Part One-Discovering the Dream" and have just started with the assignment where the participants bring in examples of the work they "LOVE" to create (shown above). And in the "Part Two-Forming the Dream" class we are working up to the development of each individuals Vision Statement which will lead to the Mission Statement and the execution of their business plans and/or life plans. This is an exciting time as we watch everyone take charge of their careers.
- On January 9 Tony Luna delivered his "The Art and Craft of the Pitch" workshop to an enthusiastic group of students at the Woodbury University School of Media, Culture and Design. Special thanks to Bruce Cook, Ph.D, Chair of the Department of Filmmaking and teacher of the communications class, and to Sue Vessella, Chair of Graphic Design for coordinating this opportunity to enhance the capabilities of their students. The participants were fully involved and now have another tool to advance their careers.
- From Ezekiel Wheeler- Automotive Culture Consultant-
What a great year! Automotive Styles has been on the warpath of growth this entire 2011. Here are some milestones we were able to achieve.
- 60,000 world wide viewers
- Launched the first two issues of Automotive Styles Magazine
- Brought on three new team members
- 360 posts to our blog
- Established a YouTube Channel
- Created our Facebook Page
Here is what's coming in 2012
- Interactive iPad App
- Automotive Styles online Store
- Automotive Styles Sponsored Vehicles
- Automotive Styles Events and Track Days
Thank you everyone for your amazing support and we look forward to another great year seeing you at the car shows and events that keep our passion alive. Have a wonderful New Year, and be safe!
- From the Athens Institute for Education and Research-ATINER (www.atiner.gr) A Call for Papers and Participation in the 3rd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, 4-7 June 2012, Athens, Greece
Dr. Gregory T. Papanikos (President of the Athens Institute for Education and Research & Visiting Professor, University of Strathclyde, U.K.) and Dr. Stephen Andrew Arbury, Academic Member of ATINER and Professor, Radford University, USA would like to invite you to submit a proposal for presentation at the 3rd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, 4-7 June 2012 organized by the Arts and Science Research Division of the Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER).
The registration fee is €300 (euro), covering access to all sessions, two lunches, coffee breaks and conference material. Special arrangements will be made with a local luxury hotel for a limited number of rooms at a special conference rate. In addition, a number of social events will be organized: A Greek night of entertainment with dinner, a special one-day cruise in the Greek islands, an archaeological tour of Athens and a one-day visit to Delphi. Details of the social program are available at http://www.atiner.gr/soc/2012SOC-ART.htm
Papers (in English) from all areas of from all areas of Visual Arts (such as Animation, Architecture, Art History, Art Education, Book Arts, Ceramics, Community Arts, Fashion Design, Fiber, Furniture/Woodworking, Glass, Graphic Design, Illustration, Industrial Design, Interior Design, Jewelry/Metal Arts, Media Arts, Painting/Drawing, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, Fiber Arts, Visual Studies, Writing and Literature, etc) and Performing Arts (such as music, drama, dance, etc). Panel organizers are encouraged to submit their proposals by inviting other scholars that do research in the area. You may participate as panel organizer, presenter of one paper, chair a session or observer.
For programs of previous conferences and other information visit the conference website www.atiner.gr/arts.htm. Selected papers will be published in a Special Volume of the Conference Proceedings or Edited Books as part of ATINER's philosophy book series. For Books and Proceedings of previous conferences you may visit http://www.atiner.gr/docs/BOOK_PUBLICATIONS.htm for table of contents and order forms.
Please submit a 300-word abstract by 6 February 2012, by email, email@example.com to: Dr. Stephen Andrew Arbury, Academic Member of ATINER and Professor, Radford University, USA. Please include: Title of Paper, Full Name (s), Current Position, Institutional Affiliation, an email address and at least 3 keywords that best describe the subject of your submission. Please use the abstract submitting form available at http://www.atiner.gr/docs/2012FORM-ART.doc. Announcement of the decision is made within 4 weeks after submission, which includes information on registration deadlines and paper submission requirements. If you want to participate without presenting a paper, i.e. chair a session, evaluate papers to be included in the conference proceedings or books, contribute to the editing of a book, or any other contribution, please send an email to Dr. Gregory T. Papanikos (firstname.lastname@example.org), President, ATINER.
The Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER) was established in 1995 as an independent academic organization with the mission to become a forum, where academics and researchers - from all over the world - could meet in Athens and exchange ideas on their research and discuss the future developments of their discipline. Since 1995, ATINER has organized about 150 international conferences and has published over 100 books. Academically, the Institute consists of four research divisions and twenty research units. Each research unit organizes at least an annual conference and undertakes various small and large research projects.
That's it for now.
If you are not on the mailing list and would like to receive twice-monthly notices of these Updates please contact email@example.com.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately twice a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Recent Contributing Author: Photo.net, an online magazine for 75,000+ members of the photographic community
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals