Synopsis of what is new in this Update:
- We have just finished the "Personal and Work History Timelines" assignment and are moving on to the "Asset Matching" exercise in our fall "Crafting a Meaningful Career" class at Art Center at Night/Art Center College of Design.
- Congratulations to Diane Russell (CMC-Part One, Fall 2008) who sent an email to let us know she just received her PhD in Cinema and Audiovisual Studies from the Paris Sorbonne University!…
- Mark Alberhasky informs us about several exciting adventures he will be leading as a Nikon Mentor as he will be conducting a photo safari to Las Vegas in December, to Panama in January, …
- Ulrike Kerber let us know that she has added another site to lovetoread.com and this addition is called vivakids.tv which provides reading and creativity tools for kids using 3d typography, character design and stop motion techniques…
- Anna Berkal lets us know of nine job opportunities at the Art Center College of Design…
- Justine Maccario invites us to a showing of her artwork in a group show "Picture Painting Show" at the Modest Fly Art Studio Gallery in Tujunga on November 18…
- And Robert Mehnert just sent an announcement that his latest book, "In the Blink of an Eye" is now available on Kindle…
Enjoy the updates!
- We have just finished the "Personal and Work History Timelines" assignment and are moving on to the "Asset Matching" exercises. Those who have taken the "Crafting a Meaningful Career" classes will appreciate the many ways our current participants have chosen to document the retrospective of their achievements. And more importantly how they can use this exercise as a way to design their futures...
- From Diane Russell, PhD, Cinema and Audiovisual Studies- "Dear Tony, It was tough but I finally got my PhD in 'Cinema and Audiovisual Studies' from the Sorbonne, after a 4 hours defense! Now I'm in China, Shanghai, visiting my sister who's an Architect, and helping her out on a project with some Photoshop and Illustrator assignments. I'm also 'long distance freelancing' at the same time, starting a storyboard for a French feature film.
I'm still looking for a way to go back and stay in L.A.. I'm hoping that my PhD will open a few doors: teaching storyboards in a film or art school would be great! …Sending one bottle in the sea of your worldwide connections can't hurt!
…Here are some pictures of my defense but they are not super exciting for someone who hasn't been there, because there's no diploma ceremony like in the US, no graduation party (just a glass of Champagne and some fancy food bites that I had organized in a restaurant near by) and it wasn't in one of the most famous decorated rooms of the main Sorbonne building.
…About the dress: it was an American Ralph Lauren dress. I was wearing a piece of United States to help me think positive "YES WE CAN!" ;-)
Editor's note: Diane, we are all so proud of you and we know how studiously you worked to achieve your goals! You deserve the best!
To anyone interested send a note of congratulations to Diane at email@example.com.
- From Mark Alberhasky, Photographer, and Nikon Mentor-
"Looking for an exciting alternative to cold January weather?… An alternative rich with amazing photo ops?... And get a deal?! Look no further, come with me as the Mentor Series heads to Panama!
The end of January 2012 I'm excited to swap winter's gray for the exciting colors of tropical rain forests, tribal villages, and a wonder of the world, the Panama Canal. If that sounds better than putting another log on the fire to keep warm, pack your bag (and photo gear) and sign up!
And don't miss the special code in the upper left hand corner of the ad below to score $200 off!
Here's the link, check it out today:
Look forward to seeing you on my next adventure.
All the best,
Mark Alberhasky Photography
535 Redding View Ct NW
Atlanta, GA 30328
Travel and photograph with Mark on upcoming travel adventures to Las Vegas in December or to Panama
in January 2012. Check the Pop Photo Mentor Series website at http://www.mentorseries.com/ for details!
- From Ulrike Kerber, Artist- "Dear Tony, We added another site to LovetoRead.com: Vivakids.tv ! When I started creating content for kids, it was about finding a fun way to teach reading to my baby Niko and toddler Cosima. We animated the alphabet and flashcards and created lovetoread.com. Then we produced more animations, products and workshops and we noticed how our focus shifted from reading tools to creativity tools. While we still love 'love to read' (and always will !!!) our work expanded to teach kids creative problem solving and divergent thinking. Depending on the age group we work on 3-d typography, character design and stopmotion. Kids and teens learn about the power of the written word, the significance of using the right typography and how to (create) stopmotion animate titles. These skills empower kids, they become directors and designers of their own lives. We figured that creative thinking is the one skill that is much needed in our crazy times and unpredictable future. Viva Kids! love, create, inspire - Ulrike"
Please check out the Alphabets blog where I collect the coolest Alphabets and Typography!
- From Anna Berkal, Generalist, Human Resources, Art Center College of Design-
We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
· Chair, Interaction Design
· Library Assistant
· Administrative Assistant, Public Programs (part-time, eves)
· CNC Programmer/Machine Operator (temporary, part-time)
· Grants Coordinator
· Director of Communications
· Director of Counseling & Wellness Services
· Associate Vice President of Development
· Software Engineer
For more information about these positions, please contact Human Resources or see details online at http://www.artcenter.edu/accd/employment.jsp.
Generalist, Human Resources
Art Center College of Design
Tel 626.396.2270 | Fax 626.683.0559
- From Justine Maccario, Photographer- (From a Facebook link)- "Hi Tony, Justine invited you to Picture Paintings Show and says "Hi guys, I am in a group photography show at a local gallery in Tujunga. Would love to get your support! Thanks".
Join us for a collaboration of photography! There will be a group of 12 photographers coming together for our Picture Paintings Show. If you are looking for the perfect picture for your wall, there will be prints of all shapes and sizes under glass and on canvas. There will be raffles for a chance to win the raffle prize filled with goodies by the artists themselves. Please join use for a night of picture paintings, food, and wine. Hope to see you there!
Picture Paintings Show
Friday, November 18 · 7:00pm - 10:00pm
Modest Fly Art Studio Gallery
7578 Foothill Boulevard
For more information, look at our website at http://www.modestflyartgallery.com
- From Robert Mehnert, Cinematographer and Adjunct Professor at Art Center College of Design- "Hi all, 'In the Blink of an Eye,' the follow on to 'Looking Down at the Sky,' is up on Kindle if you're interested. Cheers, Bob"
"In The Blink of an Eye" is the second book in The Time and Again Trilogy.
Author, Robert Mehnert is a cinematographer in the motion picture industry and an adjunct professor at Art Center College of Design. Robert can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or through his website,
That's it for now.
If you are not on the mailing list and would like to receive twice-monthly notices of these Updates please contact email@example.com.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately twice a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Recent Contributing Author: Photo.net, an online magazine for 75,000+ members of the photographic community
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals