Synopsis of what is new in this Update:
- Damon Casarez informs us of a presentation by Jigisha Bouverat, Director of Art Production at TBWA/Chiat/Day Advertising this Friday, October 28 at Art Center College of Design…
- Christine Caldwell reminds us about an exhibit of her work at The G2 Gallery, Saturday, October 29…
- Martin Ledford provides us with a link to the video shoot he recently completed for fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg and featuring Brad Goreski…
- J. T. Burke invites us to the opening of his exhibit, "Beautiful ParadiseLand" at the Glass Garage Gallery in West Hollywood, Saturday, November 5…
- Anna Berkal lets us know of eight job openings at the Art Center College of Design…
- Tamar Levine provides us with a list of events she will be participating in along with showings of her work in New York and Los Angeles…
- And the Athens Institute for Education and Research-ATINER announces a Call for Papers and Participation for the 3rd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, 4-7 June 2012, Athens, Greece…
Enjoy the updates!
- We are at the half-way point of our current "Crafting a Meaningful Career" class for the fall term and it is wonderful to see all the participants being supportive of their fellow classmates as they consider opportunities to take their careers to a new level.
From Damon Casarez, Photographer at Art Center:
A Presentation by Jigisha Bouverat,
Director of Art Production, TBWA/Chiat/Day Advertising
Friday, October 28, 7:00 P. M.
The Los Angeles Times Auditorium at Art Center, 1700 Lida Street, Pasadena, CA 91501
Jigisha will be interviewed in the first half of the evening presentation by Maren Levinson, owner and founder of Redeye Represents Artists Agency. A slideshow presentation and Q & A session with the audience will follow the interview. The event will cover topics such as: What are the daily duties of an Art Buyer; Where does an Art Buyer find work; What are effective ways of promotion, and other questions pertinent to professional photographers.
The event is open to the public.
- From Christine Caldwell, Photographer- "Hello TPC Friends, Just a reminder about my exhibit at The G2 Gallery. Hope you can join me for the ARTIST RECEPTION THIS SATURDAY October 29th, 2011 6:30-9pm.
The G2 Gallery, 1503 Abbot Kinney Boulevard, Venice, California, 90291
The G2 Gallery will have Valet Parking available that evening.
[ The G2 staff will be dressed for Halloween. Costumes are encouraged, but optional. :) ]
The Ocean Series is currently displayed on my website.
Take care & hope to see you there,"
- From Martin Ledford, Photographer, Director of Photography- "Hello- Several weeks ago I was hired to shoot four mini-videos for the fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg. …I was hired to photograph a fashion event. Then, less than 36 hours before the event, I was asked to shoot video instead. Fortunately, I had been teaching myself FCPX the past few months. It also helped that I shoot with a Canon 5D MK II which allowed me to capture HD video. It was a very odd experience changing horses in midstream like that. But I learned so much--and had a great time, too. …It was a great experience for me and I worked with the amazing Brad Goreski--who has so much fun energy that he makes any shoot an event. …I thought you may enjoy seeing the end results."
Diana von Furstenberg website:
- From J. T. Burke, Photographer/Artist- "Hi Tony, Please join me on Saturday, November 5th for the opening of 'Beautiful ParadiseLand' at the Glass Garage Gallery in West Hollywood. This is the first Los Angeles exhibition of my continuing series, 'Beautiful Again,' and will feature several new works that have been many months in the making. It should be a wonderful evening filled with champagne, cupcakes and my own visions of a utopian paradise."
Glass Garage Gallery
Saturday, November 5th from 6pm
414 Robertson Blvd, West Hollywood, California
Unable to attend? The exhibition continues through December 30th, 2011.
You can also see the complete series of work on my website: http://www.JTBurke.com
I hope you'll join me for the opening.
- From Anna Berkel, Generalist, Human Resources, Art Center College of Design
We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
· Administrative Assistant, Finance
· Administrative Assistant, Public Programs (part-time)
· CNC Programmer/Machine Operator (temporary, part-time)
· Director of Communications
· Director of Counseling & Wellness Services
· Grants Coordinator
· Associate Vice President of Development
· Software Engineer
For more information about these positions, please contact Human Resources or see details online at http://www.artcenter.edu/accd/employment.jsp.
Generalist, Human Resources
Art Center College of Design
Tel 626.396.2270 | Fax 626.683.0559
- From Tamar Levine, Photographer- "Hello- I hope you are having a beautiful autumn! If you have a moment, please check out my newly revamped website at http://www.tamarlevine.com.
Some other news:
- The ADC Young Guns 9 show was so fun! If you are in New York, the work will be up at the ADC Gallery until November 3rd.
- If you are in LA, on November 14th I will be speaking at the Apple Store in Santa Monica as a part of the Young Gun series. More info can be found here. http://www.tamarlevine.com/photoblog/2011/10/adc-young-guns-show/
- I will be in a gallery show in LA at Smashbox Studios on November 5th, for a great cause, and with some great artists. Check out this link for more information. http://www.tamarlevine.com/photoblog/2011/10/branded-arts-show-november-5th/
- And lastly, click here to see some new photos from a look book for designer Carrie Parry. http://www.tamarlevine.com/photoblog/2011/10/carrie-parry-spring-2012/
I hope you have a wonderful week!
All the best,"
- From Ezekiel Wheeler, Automotive Culture Consultant
Automotive Styles is the proud new media sponsor of the Rancho Cucamonga Daily Driven Meet! Every Wednesday night starting at 7:30pm to 11:00pm you can find us out at the Tutti Frutti (12750 Foothill Blvd. Rancho Cucamonga, CA). Come by tonight with your pride and joy, we will be bringing a 1997 Porsche 911s, a 1980 Corolla wagon and the Fiat 500! Looking forward to seeing you all there, and remember, if you cant make tonight...come ANY WEDNESDAY!
- From the Athens Institute for Education and Research-ATINER (www.atiner.gr)
Call for Papers and Participation
3rd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, 4-7 June 2012, Athens, Greece
Dr. Gregory T. Papanikos (President of the Athens Institute for Education and Research & Visiting Professor, University of Strathclyde, U.K.) and Dr. Stephen Andrew Arbury, Academic Member of ATINER and Professor, Radford University, USA would like to invite you to submit a proposal for presentation at the 3rd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, 4-7 June 2012 organized by the Arts and Science Research Division of the Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER).
The registration fee is €300 (euro), covering access to all sessions, two lunches, coffee breaks and conference material. Special arrangements will be made with a local luxury hotel for a limited number of rooms at a special conference rate. In addition, a number of social events will be organized: A Greek night of entertainment with dinner, a special one-day cruise in the Greek islands, an archaeological tour of Athens and a one-day visit to Delphi. Details of the social program are available at http://www.atiner.gr/soc/2012SOC-ART.htm
Papers (in English) from all areas of from all areas of Visual Arts (such as Animation, Architecture, Art History, Art Education, Book Arts, Ceramics, Community Arts, Fashion Design, Fiber, Furniture/Woodworking, Glass, Graphic Design, Illustration, Industrial Design, Interior Design, Jewelry/Metal Arts, Media Arts, Painting/Drawing, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, Fiber Arts, Visual Studies, Writing and Literature, etc) and Performing Arts (such as music, drama, dance, etc). Panel organizers are encouraged to submit their proposals by inviting other scholars that do research in the area. You may participate as panel organizer, presenter of one paper, chair a session or observer. For programs of previous conferences and other information visit the conference website www.atiner.gr/arts.htm. Selected papers will be published in a Special Volume of the Conference Proceedings or Edited Books as part of ATINER's philosophy book series. For Books and Proceedings of previous conferences you may visit http://www.atiner.gr/docs/BOOK_PUBLICATIONS.htm for table of contents and order forms.
Please submit a 300-word abstract by 14 November 2011, by email, firstname.lastname@example.org to: Dr. Stephen Andrew Arbury, Academic Member of ATINER and Professor, Radford University, USA. Please include: Title of Paper, Full Name (s), Current Position, Institutional Affiliation, an email address and at least 3 keywords that best describe the subject of your submission. Please use the abstract submitting form available at http://www.atiner.gr/docs/2012FORM-ART.doc. Announcement of the decision is made within 4 weeks after submission, which includes information on registration deadlines and paper submission requirements. If you want to participate without presenting a paper, i.e. chair a session, evaluate papers to be included in the conference proceedings or books, contribute to the editing of a book, or any other contribution, please send an email to Dr. Gregory T. Papanikos (email@example.com), President, ATINER.
That's it for now.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately twice a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Recent Contributing Author: Photo.net, an online magazine for 75,000+ members of the photographic community
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals