Synopsis of what is new in this Update:
- The current class of "Crafting a Meaningful Career" is off to a flying start with a supportive group of very gifted professionals who are eager to take their careers to a new level...
- Amber Podratz informs us about the completion of her latest project, a catalog for the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising Museum & Galleries…
- Zelda Harrison kindly gives us notice of a job opening for a Design Educator at San Jose State University…
- And also from Zelda Harrison is the announcement of a Community Green Grant from the Ford Motor Company and the Green Festival...
- Ezekiel Wheeler gives us a head-up about the upcoming Art Center Car Classic …
- Maria Piscopo is looking for photographers to interview for her next Business Trends column…
- Ed Fox invites all to the launch of his newest book for Taschen publications...
Enjoy the updates!
- We have just finished the fifth week of our "Crafting a Meaningful Career-Part One- Discovering the Dream" class at Art Center at Night and we have a wonderful group of highly talented, extremely helpful participants who are working together. Everyone has now shown their own collection of work they LOVED to create, and now we are moving on to the Timeline assignment. Those of you who have taken the class, or the full three classes which constitute the "Crafting a Meaningful Career" course, will appreciate what an informative and practical exercise the Timeline assignment is. Feel free to write a message to this blog and tell us what the Timeline meant to you and how it has affected your career.
(Photos by Zack Podratz)
- From Amber Podratz, Graphic Artist- "Hi Tony: How are you? Hope all is well with you and teaching etc. I wanted to share with you my latest project that perhaps you would like to feature on your blog. I just finished designing a 392 page exhibition catalog for the FIDM Museum & Galleries. I can honestly say that I LOVED doing it! The book was a lot of long hours and hard work in a short time frame but I am very proud of the end result. The book is up on my blog/portfolio site http://www.amberpodratz.com
...Thank you for considering adding my work to your blog update. Have a nice week!
- From Zelda Harrison, Graphic Artist, Cross Cultural Design Consultant- "Hello Tony!Hope you are doing well...Many thanks for your blog updates. Attached is a job opening for Design Educator in San Jose. Perhaps some of your readers would be interested? Please feel free to pass on..Many thanks and enjoy your wkd, zh"
Position: Full-time tenure track position in the Department of Design
Rank: Assistant Professor Graphic Design (Interaction & User Experience Design Emphasis)
For full consideration send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching interests/philosophy and research plans, 20 examples of work as well as examples of student work (slides, video, CD/DVD). For electronic media,
executable Macintosh files, and contact information for at least three references by January 30, 2012 to:
Chair, Graphic Design Search Committee
Department of Design
San José State University
One Washington Square
San Jose CA 95192-0089
Please include Job Requisition Number (JOID: 746) on all correspondence.
- And further from Zelda Harrison comes this announcement,
Please apply for our $5,000 Community Green Grant, sponsored by Ford Motor Company and the Green Festival. You do NOT need to have 501(c)3 nonprofit status. ANYONE within a 50 mile radius of the City of Los Angeles can submit an entry.
Deadline: October 22
To apply, submit your idea to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Attn: Community Green Grant
3020 Carbon Place, Suite 300
Boulder, CO 80301
Entries must be received by the following dates for consideration:
Los Angeles- 10/22/2011
San Francisco- 11/5/2011
Please pass this message on to any nonprofit, local group or contact you know who might be interested in applying! This is a great opportunity for local groups and nonprofit volunteers to jump-start a new project, or strengthen an existing program, as well as gain exposure and advocacy within the community!
For more information, visit http://www.action-marketing-group.com/greengrant/.
Ford will select the finalists and Green Festival attendees will vote for their favorite project proposal; votes will be tallied on-site the weekend of October 29 and 30.
Please, please, please submit your ideas and share the opportunity with colleagues, friends and family. ANYONE CAN APPLY including individuals, schools, clubs, faith-based groups, urban gardens, Neighborhood Associations, nonprofits and those serving our most vulnerable populations.
Los Angeles Regional Director, Green Festivals
Join us at these fabulous events in 2011!
Los Angeles Green Festival, October 29+30
San Francisco Green Festival, November 12+13
New York City, April, 21-22
- From Ezekiel Wheeler, Automobile Culture Consultant- on the Art Center Car Classic-
On October 23rd at 11AM the Art Center College of Design will open its campus to one of Southern California's most anticipated unique car shows, The Art Center Car Classic. This years theme will be California Design. Guest speakers will included Chip Foose, Pete Brock, Barry Meguiar and Dave Kunz. For Tickets please contact email@example.com.
You won't regret this once in a life time show, there will never be another one like it!
- From Maria Piscopo, Creative Consultant-
Photographers wanted for my next Business Trends column! I am looking for photographers using social media as a marketing tool-success stories and horror stories. How does LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter really help you build your business?
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, Thank you!
- From Ed Fox, Photographer, announcing his latest book, "Ed Fox Vol. 2" published by Taschen:
Come help me celebrate the launch of my latest TASCHEN book!
I don't make a single cent if buy a book so don't feel obligated to buy one.
I only want to see you there to help celebrate with me OKAY? : )
When: Saturday Oct. 22, 2011; 7PM-10PM
Where: La Luz De Jesus Gallery
4633 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Here is the link with the info in case you want to pass it along.
I'll be reminding you a couple more times
That's it for now.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately twice a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Recent Contributing Author: Photo.net, an online magazine for 75,000+ members of the photographic community
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals