Synopsis of what is new in this Update:
- If you get a chance please take a look below at the Thursday, September 22 entry in the Tony Luna Creative blog which has the article that appeared in the Art Center College of Design's "The Dotted Line" on-line magazine. It features an interview with Tony Luna on the Crafting a Meaningful Career classes, and was written by Mike Winder...
- Gail Mooney's iconic portrait of Mississippi Delta Blues Singer, Sam Carr, is on display in the United States Senate Building…
- Harvey Chua sent in information on the wonderful advocacy program she and her husband started in the Philippines, "Photography with a Difference" in which they worked with 20 children who have cancer…
- There will be a retrospective of the work of Ryszard Horowitz to be held in China…
- Christine Caldwell informed us that she will have a new exhibit of her work at G2 Gallery…
- There is a call for papers for the Eighth International Conference on Technology, Knowledge, and Society which will be held at UCLA January 16-18. The deadline is 11 October...
Enjoy the updates!
- Journalist Mike Winder wrote an article which appeared in the Art Center on-line magazine, "The Dotted Line." It featured a conversation with Tony Luna, Creative Career Consultant, on the topic of the classes he teaches through Art Center at Night to mid-career professionals who are looking to take their careers to the next level. Click here to read the Thursday, September 22 article, http://tonylunacreative.blogspot.com/...
Photo by Eugene Mopsik ©
- From Tom Mooney, Photographer- "Gail Mooney's unforgettable portrait of Blues great Sam Carr hangs in the U.S. Senate.
Please read about it here: http://kellymooneyminutes.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/it%E2%80%99s-all-connected/
All the best,
Thomas A. Kelly
Still Photography and Motion Imagery that Make a Difference
Please "Like" Opening Our Eyes on Facebook!
It's not just a movie, it's a movement.
- From Harvey Chua, Photographer, Manilla, The Philippines- "Hi Tony, Thanks for sending us updates about you, and other photographers - especially those who attend your classes and seminars.
I'm sending you a copy of one of our local newspapers that did a story on our advocacy - Photography with a Difference. My AB Photography students at the College of Saint Benilde photographed 20 children with cancer under the care of Kythe Foundation. To prepare the students for this project, we conducted workshops on children and family portraiture, as well as an orientation lecture on how to relate with or handle children with cancer. A local mall, SM Supermalls, provided the children's families with gift certificates so they could buy color coordinated clothes for the portrait session, while Canon Philippines brought Selphy printers so that the families could receive instant prints. The entire project - to be done within a year - would serve 200 children, and will be handled by various student photographers all over the country. A photo exhibit, called "Colors of Hope" will be held at SM at the end of next month.
I have also attached a portrait of one of the children by Apple Villalobos, a graduating AB photography student.
Harvey V. Chua
3688 Bautista Street, Palanan, Makati City 1235 Philippines Tel. 63 2 8316117
Other email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
For tips and newsbits on the business of photography: www.adphoto.com.ph/business
- From H. E. Tadeusz Chomicki, Ambassador of the Republic of Poland, there is an announcement of the opening in China of Photocomposer "Ryszard Horowitz's exhibition 'Horowitz in retrospective' on Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 from 18:30 at Rose Gallery, 798 Art District. The artist will be present."
- From Christine Caldwell, Photographer- "Hello, I am excited to announce my new exhibit at The G2 Gallery. Twelve images from my new Ocean Series are now on display. Hope you can join me for the ARTIST RECEPTION on Saturday October 29th, 2011 6:30-9pm.
The G2 staff will be dressed for Halloween. Costumes are encouraged, but optional.
The Ocean Series is currently displayed on my website.
Additionally, I will have a variety of images on display at Translight Photography Center during the upcoming Brewery Artwalk on October 1st & 2nd, 2011 11am-6pm.
Take care & hope to see you soon,
- From Karim Gherab Martin, Visiting Research Scholar, University of Illinois, Urgana-Champaign, USA; Bibliotecas Digitales, Madrid, Spain
On behalf of the international Advisory Board, I would like to inform you of the:
EIGHTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON TECHNOLOGY, KNOWLEDGE AND SOCIETY
University of California, Los Angeles, USA
16-18 January 2012
We are pleased to host the Technology Conference this year at the University of California, Los Angeles, USA. Los Angeles is a world economic center of business, science and technology as well as entertainment, art, media and culture. With its diverse mix of industry and innovation Los Angeles is the ideal place to discuss Technology and Society.
This year's conference will include presentations from plenary speakers:
- Henry Jenkins, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
- Christiane Paul, The New School, New York, USA
- Victoria Vesna, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
This cross-disciplinary conference is attracting scholars from all backgrounds, all over the world. It is a meeting point for technologists with a concern for the social, and social scientists with a concern for the technological. The focus is primarily, but not exclusively, on information and communications technologies.
Presenters may choose to submit written papers for publication in the fully refereed International Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Society. If you are unable to attend the conference in person, virtual registrations are also available.
Visit our website for more information about the conference, our submission process and this year's themes, to sign up for our monthly e-newsletter, and to become an active member of our community. It is all available at: http://www.Technology-Conference.com.
The deadline for the next round in the call for papers (a title and short abstract) is 11 October 2011. Proposals are reviewed within two weeks of submission.
Be sure to submit and complete registration as spaces are filling up quickly.
We look forward to receiving your proposal and hope to see you in Los Angeles in 2012.
Karim Gherab Martin
Visiting Research Scholar
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA
Bibliotecas Digitales, Madrid, Spain
For the Advisory Board, International Conference on Technology, Knowledge and Society and The International Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Society
That's it for now.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately twice a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Recent Contributing Author: Photo.net, an online magazine for 75,000+ members of the photographic community
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals