Synopsis of what is new in this Update:
- "Crafting a Meaningful Career-Part One- Discovering the Dream" is off to a great start…
- The Summer "SchmoozeFest," on August 25, was a hit…
- The lecture, "Exploring Creative Career Opportunities During Challenging Times" on August 25, for The Actors Fund (SAG-AFTRA) was very well received…
- Ellen Perry, Interaction Director for spiritclips.com let us know about their latest production in remembrance of the tragedy of September 11, 2001, titled "The Miracle of Ladder 6," and she informs us they are looking for a design intern…
- Mary Winterfield, Artist, is now teaching her fine art classes at Art Center at Night…
- Christine Caldwell, Photographer, her Illuminated Negative's 'Grasshopper' was selected as a finalist in the Professional Category of PDN's 'The Great Outdoors Contest'…
- Mandi Batalo, Chair of the Fine Art Department at San Bernardino Valley College notified us of a Photo Shop teaching opportunity in Big Bear…
- Anna Berkal, Generalist, Human Resources, at the Art Center College of Design informs us of seven job offerings at Art Center…
- Tamar Levine, Photographer, has been honored as a winner of the ADC (the Art Directors Club) Young Guns competition…
- Beth Chucker, Artist and Co-Director of compactspace Gallery, is to be featured on Andy Adam's FlakPhoto site…
- Gabor Kalman, Director, announces a special one week engagement of the film "There Was Once…" from September 23-29 at selected theaters in New York and Los Angeles…
Enjoy the updates!
- New term has begun at Art Center at Night and we have a very enthusiastic group of participants in our "Crafting a Meaningful Career- Part One- Discovering the Dream" class on Tuesday evenings. If you wish to find out more about the class don't hesitate to call Art Center at Night, or go online to http://www.artcenter.edu/atnight. You may also call Tony Luna at 818-842-5490.
- The "Summer SchmoozeFest" in late August was a success with past participants from the Crafting a Meaningful Career classes giving presentations of the work they are currently involved in, and that was followed by an energetic networking session.
- The Actors' Fund lecture, "Exploring Creative Career Opportunities in During Challenging Times," also in late August, was well received by members of the group at Cagney Theatre in their Wilshire Boulevard offices. Special thanks to Joanne Webb, Career Counselor who does tireless work on behalf of the acting community and who organized the event. Also thanks to John Mattson, Director of the Actors Work Program-Western Region, Caitlin Sorenson, AWP Coordinator, Leslie Slomka, Senior Manager Special Projects-SAG, and Mark Lynall, Audio/Visual Analyst. It was an honor to present to this special group of talented artists!
- From Ellen Perry, Interaction Designer, spritclips.com- "Hi Tony, In remembrance of 9/11 we just released a new motion comic, 'Ladder 6.' It's a graphic, short form depiction of 'The Miracle of Ladder 6,' about the firefighters who survived the crash of the towers because they stopped to help Josephine Harris, an elderly woman who was trapped on the staircase.
The 4:20 min film is free to watch, share on facebook, embed, etc.
If it moves you, please help spread the word for the anniversary! I appreciate it.
Best to you,
- Also from Ellen Perry- "Also, I'm looking for a design intern, they can learn web design from me and be exposed to stimulating creative environment. Let me know. It's a great opportunity to work w/ a big Hollywood producer, Rob Fried, and do something creative that makes a difference. Please post to your group and have them contact me at email@example.com if they're interested.
Best to you,
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
— Albert Einstein
- From Mary Winterfield, Fine Artist- (Editor's Note: Because I am posting this Update one week later than usual-due to being on vacation-Mary's classes began last week. My apologies. Please check out her classes and be in touch with Mary and/or Art Center at Night to find out about these and future classes.)
Mary teaches the following inspiring classes at Art Center at Night:
Abstract Painting and Composition; Color and Light in Painting; Neoimpressionism: Painting the Landscape.
- From Christine Caldwell, Photographer- "Hello, I am extremely excited to share some good news. Illuminated Negative's 'Grasshopper' was selected as a finalist in the Professional Category of PDN's 'The Great Outdoors Contest'. The Winners and Finalists were exhibited at PDN's (Photo District News) Outdoor Photo Expo in Salt Lake City Utah as well as published in the September Issue seen below.
I can now die happy as I have been trying to get published in this magazine for the past 15 years :)"
- From Mandi Batalo, Chair, Art Department, San Bernardino Valley College- Referring to a teaching position in Big Bear, California
(Editor's Note: Again my apologies because the original email was lost during my vacation but the gist of the message is as follows: Mandi notified us that there is a teaching position being made available for a qualified applicant to teach a Photo Shop class, or classes, at a school in Big Bear, California. There are perks involved but you will have to contact Mandi to find out the details.)
Chair, Art Department
San Bernardino Valley College
701 South Mt. Vernon Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92410
- From Anna Berkal, Generalist, Human Resources, Art Center College of Design: "We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
· Development Communications and Marketing Manager
· Coordinator for Integrated Studies, Humanities & Design Sciences, Academic Affairs
· Shop Instructor—part-time/on-call
· Assistant Director, Financial Aid
· Associate Vice President of Development
· Director of Faculty Development
· Software Engineer
For more information about these positions, please contact Human Resources or see details online at http://www.artcenter.edu/accd/employment.jsp.
Generalist, Human Resources
Art Center College of Design
Tel 626.396.2270 | Fax 626.683.0559
- From Tamar Levine, Fashion Photographer- "Hello! I am so honored to be a winner of the ADC (the Art Directors Club) Young Guns competition. There will be a gallery show in New York with an opening on October 13th. I hope to see you there!
Please click here to see the press release, http://www.adcyoungguns.org/press/?id=43, …for more info about the show. You can also click …to see the profiles of all the winners. I am humbled to be in the company of such amazing artists!
- From Beth Chucker, Artist and Co-Director of compactspace Gallery- "I am so honored to be featured on Andy Adam's FlakPhoto site.
Artist & Co-Director/ compactspace Gallery
- From Gabor Kalman, Director, Cinematographer- "We are happy to announce a special one week engagement of our film 'There Was Once…' from September 23-29, in New York a the IFC Center, and in Los Angeles at Laemmle's Sunset 5. Please check local listings for show times.
Official Selection, Film.Dok film festival
Official Selection, Hungarian film festival
That's it for now.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately twice a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Recent Contributing Author: Photo.net, an online magazine for 75,000+ members of the photographic community
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals