- IMPORTANT NOTE: There is still time to sign up for my Art Center classes which will begin this coming Tuesday, September 13!
Make sure you take advantage of "Crafting a Meaningful Career-Part One-Discovering the Dream," or "Crafting a Meaningful Career-Part Two-Forming the Dream" to take your career to the next level. You can contact Art Center at Night by calling 626-396-2319, or you may go to Art Center at Night's web site at http://www.artcenter.edu/atnight/main.jsp And you can always call me directly about the courses at 818-842-5490.
Summer 2010 SchmoozeFesters networking and exchanging ideas...
- Our SchmoozeFest on August 26 was another successful event with a very talented group of former members of our classes showing up to talk about the wonderful work they are creating. Thanks to all who attended and, if you were unable to attend, remember there will be another SchmoozeFest in mid-December.
Leadership Workshop members from St. Finbar Church
- I would like to thank all the selected members of the Catholic Community of St. Finbar Church in Burbank for participating in the Leadership Workshops I had the honor to conduct August 23 and 30. And special thanks to Fr. Albert Bahhuth for making this wonderful experience possible. We were so successful that we are looking forward to the next installment in the Leadership series.
And now on to news from your colleagues…
- Diana Mulvihill, Photographer- In our last TLC-Update I mentioned that Diana, who took our "Crafting a Meaningful Career" class and then went on to enroll in Art Center's Photography and Imaging Department, was going to graduate on August 21. Well, she not only graduated but she graduated "With Distinction" from that particularly rigorous program! We were all proud to see her receive her degree and we wish her the best in all her endeavors!
(Photo from Flaunt Magazine article)
- Michael Salvatore Tierney, Fine Art Photographer- sent in this note, "Hi Tony, hope you are well. I just finished reading the updates on your e-mail and it sounds like people are really plugging away! I can't believe how much time has passed since I signed up for your fist class!
The article on my aerospace photo project in 'flaunt' (magazine) is on the stands and I'm very excited to be getting recognition in an international publication;
it is all part of the journey…
All my best,"
Michael Salvatore Tierney
- Maruen Brodbeck, Fine Art Photographer- sent in this announcement- "Hello, I am pleased to invite you to the opening and the lecture of SWEET PEOPLE in Los Angeles.
Lecture with the Artists Thursday September 9th from 6:30pm to 7:30pm
Opening with the Artists Friday September 10th from 7:00pm to 10:00pm
compactspace gallery hosted by The Factory
with Mauren Brodbeck, Régina Beith, Stéphane Ducret, Régis Golay, Hervé Graumann, Oliver Rubli
912 E. 3rd Street, Studio 204
Los Angeles, CA 90013
group show at Galerie Art City, Paris
Opening September 30th, 2010
Chic Art Fair, Paris
October 22nd - October 25h, 2010
Hope to see you there.
+ facebook + tumblr
- Scott Wakefield, Fine Artist, new Department Chair- "Hi everyone! I've got good news! I have accepted a position with the Community College of Aurora in Aurora, Colorado. (near Denver) I will be full time faculty and the department chair for the Art and New Media Design department. I will teach drawing and digital art my first semester, starting Aug. 23rd. I will be leaving this weekend.
We are sad to leave Cache Valley and friends and family, but excited to start a new adventure. Kori and the kids will stay here for a couple of weeks until I can find a place for us out there. We have listed our house with focus realty (www.focusproperties.net) It is a great house, so if you know anyone looking...here is a link: http://www.rbmhomes.com/cgi-bin/real?pge=iphone&action=homedetail&saveit=true&mlsno=979729
Thank you all for your help and prayers. We have been truly blessed with this opportunity.
All the best,"
- Cynthia Fredrick, Photographer- "Dear Friends and Family, On September 19th, Cosmo, Zuzu and I are walking the walk to raise money for Best Friends Animal Society and local animal rescue groups, supporting a world of No More Homeless Pets®! On behalf of the millions of homeless animals in Los Angeles and across the country, I'm asking you to help by making a donation to my fundraising campaign. Every donation counts, large and small, so please donate an amount that is comfortable to you. You can use the link below to donate online quickly and securely plus learn more about my progress. You will receive a confirmation of your donation by email and I will be notified as soon as you make your donation.
Your donation will help fund life-saving Adoption and Spay & Neuter programs, help rescue at-risk animals and find them new homes, and help save animals from the misery of life in puppy mills. More than 5 million beautiful, healthy animals are euthanized in shelters every year. I am hoping that my participation in Strut Your Mutt is a small step that will help change that path. Thank you very much for your support."
- Bruce Hubbard, Artist/Scientist and Instructor at Art Center in the Humanities and Design Sciences department wrote, "Please join us for a group opening at The Loft at Liz's, featuring some of our kiln fused glass. Details are below.
Bruce and Cha-Rie"
Color Pattern Material
Curated by: Robert Silva
The Loft at Liz's
453 S. La Brea Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Opening: September 11th 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Show closes on Monday, October 18, 2010
- Chris Garlington, Worldwide Director of Sales, The Aurora Series- (Note from the Editor: Sorry Chris that this is being posted a week late for the opening but anyone interested should call you at the number listed below to experience your latest involvement. Best to you!)
IMAGINE being the first in Las Vegas and the world to have something so unique and intriguing that people are calling it “magic” “mesmerizing” and “a must see!”
There are two ways to see for yourself. You can visit our showroom at The Arts Factory Friday, September 3rd, 2010 between 7pm and 11pm or private viewings only for a limited time. Call Chris Ian Garlington, Worldwide Director of Sales at 310 579 5069 to book.
THE AURORA, created by Neil Sater, could be the next big thing in hotels, restaurants, spas, nightclubs, casinos, and on stage! This is your chance to have
Check out the 9/2/10 issue of SEVEN MAGAZINE on page 54 for a feature article on The Aurora or you can view it online at www.TheAuroraSeries.com.
Aurora. Imagine the Possibilities!
Please direct all inquiries to
Chris Ian Garlington
Worldwide Director of Sales
310 579 5069
- This item was sent in and is posted for your consideration:
BECA: Bridge for Emerging Contemporary Art, the global artist and designer run non-profit project founded in January 2008, presents 'ARTICLE 19'.
Drawing inspiration from both the preamble and Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, artists, architects + designers from around the world are challenged to Explore, Discover and Act through Art + Design. The result will be an international group exhibition which embodies not only the spirit of Article 19 of the UDHR but also explores today’s ever-growing challenges faced by contemporary society from all corners of the globe when
attempts are made to realize our human right to freedom of expression. The ARTICLE 19 exhibition is being held in partnership with, 'STREET ARTS: A Celebration of Hip Hop Culture & Free Expression', a two month, city-wide event in Albuquerque, NM. The BECA Foundation is proud to be a part of this important arts + cultural event being held this October and November 2010. We look forward to broadening the discourse and extending the boundaries of
awareness of our global human right to freedom of expression and the current threats posed to these rights. For those answering the challenge being put forth within this International Call to Artists, Architects + Designers to Explore, Discover and Act through Art + Design, it is an opportunity, in and of itself, to exercise our universal human right to freedom of expression. A complete schedule of related STREET ARTS programs and events will soon be available at
The BECA Foundation adheres to an open submission policy, therefore those at least 18 years of age from any country are eligible to submit their works for consideration according to the guidelines which are available for download at: http://www.becaicad.org/artist-designer-submissions.php The BECA Foundation will host the exhibition at New Studio A.D., a new multi-functional studio, exhibition and event space located in downtown Albuquerque, New
Mexico. The space allocated for the exhibition is 650 sqft (60 sq meters) with a ceiling height of 14 feet (4.3 meters) allowing the exhibition to fill a full 9,100 cubic feet (258 meters cubed) of viewing space. A group of individual artists, architects, designers, or duos, groups or collectives will be selected by BECA Foundation directors + advisors to receive the exhibition opportunity which will run from November 2 - 16, 2010 with an opening reception from 5 – 7pm on
November 5th during Downtown Albuquerque’s First Friday ArtsCrawl.
View past exhibitions at www.BECAICAD.org as well as at www.CurateThis.org and www.BECAgallery.com
This is a multimedia and multidisciplinary exhibition without limitation therefore all works will be considered, including but not limited to: site-specific installations, painting, sculpture, mixed-media, drawing, printmaking, fiber, textiles, illustration, digital art, interactive design, photography, video/new media, film, performance art, music and sound focused works, 3D animation, graphic design, product design, furniture design, haute couture fashion +
accessories, architectural interventions/designs and functional art, etc. In other words, all creative culminations which address the specifics of this Call are welcome. Please visit http://www.becaicad.org/artist-designer-submissions.php for complete information.
- From the India Design Association we received this email and are passing it along for anyone who may be interested:
The event Typography Day 2011 will include a seminar which will be devoted to addressing issues faced by type designers, type users and type educators. The program will feature presentations on the first two days followed by day of workshops dedicated to typography and calligraphy. The event is planned over three days:Day 1-2 : Seminar focusing on ‘Typography and Expression’; Day 3: Workshops on Typography/Calligraphy Themes. The Seminar will focus on, but will not be limited to the following issues:Typographic experiments and explorations with respect to Expressive typography.
1. Typographic expression using multilingual scripts.
2. Typographic expression in native (indigenous) Scripts.
3. Typography as an expression of local contextual design.
4. Research activities in expressive typography.
Typography Day 2011 is being organized at the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad as part of NID’s Golden Jubilee Celebrations in collaboration with the Industrial Design Centre (IDC) at the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay) with support from India Design Association (InDeAs).
Call for Papers
We invite a 300-500 word abstract (with examples) in three categories:
1. Concern in Typography and Expression (Academic Research/Presentations)
2. Application of Typography and Expression (Industry Presentations/Case Studies)
3. Student projects in Typography and Expressions (Student Projects)
Abstract Guidelines: The abstract should include the following:
1.Title of the paper
3. Abstract of the paper
4. One or two examples of the work
5. Author name, Designation, Organization and contact details (including email). The total number of words including the title, keywords and the abstract
should be a maximum of 500 words.
Paper and Presentation Details: The selection of abstract is through blind jury. Selected papers will need to be orally presented by the author/s during the conference on 3rd or 4th of March 2011 at NID, Ahmedabad. The time duration for each of the paper presentations is 20/15/10 minutes followed by 5 minutes for discussion along with Q & A. The selected papers will be published during the time of the conference. Formatting guidelines as well as a template for the full paper will be supplied along with the acceptance mail of the abstract.
Deadlines: Deadline for abstract submission: 1st October 2010 Declaration of accepted abstracts: 3rd November 2010 Deadline for submission of full paper: 31st January 2011.
Please submit the abstract (subject line: Abstract submission)by mailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.nid.edu/typoday and
+ + + + + +
InDeAs - India Design Association
+ + + + + +
The world of design in India
+ + + + + +
Please continue sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity.
Keep creating wonderful art and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Recent Contributing Author: Photo.net, an online magazine for 75,000+ members of the photographic community
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals