- Robin Neudorfer, Artist alerted us to her a showing of her latest work:
Please join us for the opening of Symbolic Still Life
Saturday evening, April 24, 7-10 pm.
Featuring the works of:
Peter "Wing" Chan
It is a show of paintings, drawings, and pastels by contemporary artists expressing a "back story" through symbolic imagery in a still life format. It will be an evening to share stories, wine, and be with good friends. Casual dress.
Permit free parking in the building's parking lot, access on Colorado Avenue.
1549 11th Street #100 (North East Corner of 11th Street and Colorado Avenue); Santa Monica, California 90401
310 913 8986
14 April, 2010
-Sean Teegarden, Photographer, forwarded this exciting information of his new Lightroom workshops at Pasadena City College, "FIRST MEETING of the Pasadena Lightroom Imaging Group: a place for photographers! Thursday, April 15th, 7-9pm
Location: C233, Pasadena City College, 1570 East Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91106.
FREE EVENT | NO RSVP REQUIRED | FIRST MEETING!
This ALL NEW User Group is dedicated to the Digital Photographer. The group is being sponsored by PCC's Photo Department and photographers Rick Miller and Sean Teegarden. It will meet each third Thursday of the month during the regular PCC semester.
For it's VERY FIRST meeting PLRIG brings you two great presentations with Sean Teegarden and Rick Miller!
First Session - Lightroom Tips, Tricks and workarounds: For anyone who's ever worked with new software, sometimes problems occur because we don't understand the mechanics of the program. We will cover some dos and don'ts and some stellar tricks of Lightroom in order to streamline our catalogs and work toward building a killer database!
Second Session - Camera Raw - honing the file, perfecting the Image: As photographers, the keystone to making any great photograph is creating an optimal negative; In this case, it is the Raw File. Rick will cover everything from Noise Reduction techniques to encoding in the right color space. Together, you will get a great foundation.
Hope to see you there! -Sean"
- Dutch Meyers, Photographer, sent in this great news, "Hello Everyone!!!!
I have been developing a model for Seminars and Education outside of the classroom. Recently with one of my students, Sunny Tattersall and his father Gale, we have been "laying the groundwork" literally and figuratively and have a very nice Studio/Classroom in Santa Monica, not far from SMC (Santa Monica City College). We will be able to hold seminars, demonstrations and shoots there. We are very excited about our new "campus" and have planned an inaugural event/test run this Friday 4/16. I will be doing an equipment, lighting and tethered shooting for studio and location instruction, and Gale will be talking about how he is revolutionizing Cinematography with his innovative use of the Canon 5DMKII DSLR to shoot full frame hi def for Television and Movies. He has just completed the final episode of "House" using the 5D exclusively,setting a new standard for the industry.
This event is FREE!!! as it is a pilot program. However it is very important that you let me know if you can come asap. We need to plan accommodations and handouts. We will start at 10 AM sharp,so please plan your travel accordingly. RSVP to this address and I will give you location information.
Hope To See You All!!!!
-Jillian Suzanne, Artist/Illustrator, reminded us about her artwork being featured at the Brewery Artwalk this weekend,
"Greetings Friends and Art Connoisseurs-
I'm excited to announce that I will be opening my studio for the spring 2010 Brewery Artwalk this coming weekend, Apr. 17th & 18th between 11am and 6pm.
As you may know, since December of 2008 I have been a busy bee illustrating Children's books. I'm currently in the middle of working on my 3rd in the Papagallo & Gollo series. During Artwalk I will be engaged in painting and I invite you to stop by and share in the process. I'll also have artwork on the walls for sale including pieces from the Puss in Bootz series, the Lil' Gentlemen series, and my Fine Art series.
For more details about Artwalk and other participating artists, please visit www.breweryartwalk.com,
or visit my blog www.jilliansuzanne.com
Cheers, and looking forward to seeing you this weekend!
Children's Book Illustration
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org"
9 April, 2010
Registration for the Summer term at Art Center at Night begins Monday, April 12. Tony will be offering his "Crafting a Meaningful Career" classes (all three sections) again this term which begins May 18. This is your chance to learn how to take your career to the next level and meet other dynamic mid-career professionals eager to advance their careers. Just go to the blog and click on "Classes" for full information.
The Spring SchmoozeFest will be Thursday, April 29 starting at 7:00 pm until 9:30. Each attendee will have a chance to present their artwork and to mingle with like-minded creative professionals.
Be a Follower of the Tony Luna Creative blog by clicking on "Follow with Google Friend Connect" icon on the right hand column.
- Fritz Chestnut, Artist sent in this announcement, 'Hi Tony. Here's the info on my show. Feel free to pass it along. Cheers, Fritz"
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FRITZ CHESNUT | PEAK AND FLOW
COUNTRY CLUB / LOS ANGELES
APRIL 17 – MAY 15, 2010
OPENING RECEPTION APRIL 17, 7-9PM
Country Club is pleased to present Peak and Flow, Fritz Chesnut’s concurrent solo exhibitions in both Los Angeles, CA and Cincinnati, OH. These are his first solo exhibitions in both cities. Fritz Chesnut is well known for a dynamic series of photo-realist paintings of crowd scenes and performers that deal with fandom and idol worship. Chesnut’s move to abstract painting, though formally opposed to his previous work, similarly mines ideas of the transcendent and the sublime. Chesnut has turned his attention to his interest in surfing. Referencing waves, moving water, outer space, mudslides and molten lava, this elegant new work evokes the moment of climax either in nature or in the psyche. Part psychedelia, part color field painting, Chesnut marries surfing zen with modernist abstraction yielding a distinct California feel with saturated and sometimes garish fluorescent colors.
These paintings mark Chesnut’s year and a half long process of exploring the ability of paint to both represent and mimic water. Chesnut “paints” without a brush, instead pouring, spraying and dripping paint with the canvas flat on the ground and then manipulates the paint by tilting and turning the canvas. Washes of paint create space and blooms of color resemble explosions. In paintings such as Nothing (2010) and Cannonball (2009), both all over abstraction and imagery conjuring outer space and surging water effectively coexist. Both minimal and expressive, organic and studied, Chesnut’s paintings come from a place of both punk catharsis and intellectual rigour.
Fritz Chesnut was born in Santa Fe, New Mexico and raised in Santa Barbara, California. He graduated from the University of California, Santa Cruz in 1995 and received his Masters of Fine Art from Rutgers University in 1997. His first solo exhibition was presented at Bellwether in 2002. His work has been exhibited in New York City at White Columns, The Bronx Museum of the Arts, ARENA Gallery, the Dumbo Arts Center, in Buffalo at Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center, in Milan, Italy at Marella Arte Contemporanea and in Los Angeles at Country Club. His work has been reviewed in The New York Times, The New Yorker, Time Out NY and Flash Art among others and featured in Harpers and Spin magazine. Chesnut lives and works in Los Angeles, California.
For additional information please contact:
Los Angeles at the Buck House
805 S Genesee Ave Los Angeles CA 90036
t +1 323 658 8522
by appointment only
- Mary Fleming, Artist, sent in this note, "... I am making from recycled plastic beverage bottles ! The "Green"/recycling thing is pretty hot right now, and they've been a big hit, so far ! Gotta make more! - Thanks, Mary'
-Stan Kong, Industrial Designer and Instructor at the Art Center College of Design, and Pasadena City College forwarded this job opportunity, "Hi Tony, fyi - this was just posted on incircle:
Designer (Footwear)(Job Number: THE0004J) This position should be comfortable designing whole collections around coherent themes, functions, prices, etc. Brings a track record of skillful technical design with success on the market and within elite end-users. Education/Experience: 5-8 Years of Related Professional Experience. Bachelor's Degree in Design (Industrial Design or Apparel), or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in flat sketching expertise & CAD software. Experience in creation of design packages and execution of product. Strong knowledge and understanding of footwear and or apparel construction. Excellent
communications skills, including the ability to present concepts to product teams and review boards in a persuasive manner. Basic knowledge of manufacturing processes. Strong knowledge of aesthetic form and the ability to design for different consumers and end uses.
For more info:
- Mark Alberhasky, Photographer and Physician forwarded this note regarding his downloadable promotional calendar, "Wow, April is here and that's no joke. I can't believe where the year is going...The 2010 2nd Qtr DIY calendar is ready!
Get it here (like 6,000 plus people before you): http://tinyurl.com/ydmuh7x
Mark Alberhasky Photography
- Michael Stern, Photographer sent this information on his latest accomplishments, "Hi Tony, ...My book has been in the top 100 going on ten weeks now in the self-help category at Amazon. Not bad for a rookie. I am now in the process of closing my second book deal...I will once again be teaching at Brooks Institute this summer in their graphic design program. Lastly I was interviewed recently for the June issue of PP of A's magazine and I continue to be a judge for the f/stops camera club in the valley.I have more deals in the works but this is good for now. All concrete stuff.
Michael E. Stern"
Photography Education Consulting
- Nuno Figueiredo, Portuguese Photographer sent in this invitation, "Nuno has invited you to "Sessões de Boudoir em Lisboa" on Saturday, April 17 at 2:15pm.
Event: Sessões de Boudoir em Lisboa
What: Business Meeting
Start Time: Saturday, April 17 at 2:15pm
End Time: Monday, April 19 at 6:15pm
To see more details and RSVP, follow the link below:
Enjoy 10% discount on the best way to start the spring.
Note: Limited availability.
- Jose Caballer, Groop Chief Visionary at The Groop School emailed us to say, "Save the Date: June 11-13, 2010
The Groop School will be hosting
'iPad: The Future of Publishing' A Hyper Collaborative Weekend Workshop
When: June 11-13, 2010
Where: UCLA (To be confirmed)
Who: Creative Directors, Film Makers, Media & Advertising Executives, Digital Strategists and anyone else involved in building online businesses
What: A Hyper Collaborative weekend workshop led by The Groop on how to powerfully collaborate, envision and create digital applications for the Apple iPad and other platforms.
Attendees will learn:
• The 3 most common barriers to building successful websites and apps (they are not what you think)
• The secret to overcoming those barriers and collaborating successfully on digital projects
• Proven techniques and tools to align business strategy with creative and technology execution
• How to set goals, measure success, improve your web projects and increase your profits
How: The 3 day event will be a challenging, hands-on workshop where 4 teams of 5 people each will learn while executing a paper prototype of an Apple iPad Application based on a theme provided by UCLA. At the end of the weekend the teams will pitch their prototype to industry experts and one team will be declared the winner. All teams will be partnered with a web designer from The Groop network and will have business, technology, creative and marketing coaches. The workshop will be facilitated by Groop Chief Visionary Jose Caballer.
How can you participate?
• Groop School is $899 for the 3 day workshop. 10% of your tuition is donated to education.
• The winning team will get to present their idea to the AppFund a seed fund focused on the development of applications for Tablet devices such as the Apple iPad.
• Presenting Sponsors: We are seeking 3 presenting sponsors in the technology, media or creative space.
• Press & Media Sponsor: We are seeking sponsors to help advertise and promote Groop School.
• In-kind Sponsor: In-kind sponsors to provide food, equipment, furniture and event services.
• Education Partners: Public and Private institutions and companies to help provide resources and followup education to Groop School attendees.
For more information on becoming a Groop School attendee, sponsor or partner contact: email@example.com 310.384.1999