- The Fall SchmoozeFest will be Thursday, September 3. Come to present your next great idea or to network with other like-minded creative folks. Either way you will be inspired and energized about what you can do!…
- Registration for the fall term at Art Center at Night begins August 10. Sign up early for the many exciting classes being offered through the Art Center at Night/Public Programs…
- The first day of classes for the Art Center at Night/Public Programs is Tuesday, September 8.
- The first meeting of “Crafting a Meaningful Career-Part One- Discovering the Dream” will be from 7:00 P. M. to 10:00 P.M., Tuesday, September 8 and continue for entire fall term.
“CMC-Part Two, Forming the Dream” will begin Thursday, September 10 and run for six weeks. Both will be held at the Art Center South Campus, 950 South Raymond Street, Pasadena.
- Thanks to Justin Bastien for letting us be a part of the eightieth birthday celebration of His Holiness the Dalai Lama on July 4. We are honored to have been a part of this momentous event and are thankful to Peak Mind.org for making this incredible event possible…
- Pete Van Law informs us that there are only a few days left to contribute to his film, “FOR THE LIFE OF ME” through Indigogo. This is an incredibly important film and if you donate at the $50.00 level a copy of the film will be sent to the institution, organization, school, university, church or synagogue of your choosing. Please support this “…powerful story of discovery, deceit, death and deliverance-one man’s search for his true identity.”…
- Leslie Kim introduces us to her exciting new line of t-shirts and tank-tops featuring her designs. A portion of the profits for this line will go to Friends of the Inyo for their dedicated work in preserving the Eastern Sierras…
- Paul Gladden recently discovered that he was awarded an Honorable Mention in a Nature - Flowers Category in the 2014 International Photography Awards (IPA) Competition for the winning entry "Gladden". Congratulations Paul!…
- Ibarionex Perello lets us know that he will be joining the production team at Maximum Fun, who are independent producers of radio shows and podcasts. We are proud of you Ibarionex and happy to see you moving forward doing what you love to do…
- Soren Petersen sends us a link to his latest Huffington Post article, “Profit from Design” in which he researches design awards, technology and execution risk metrics and how they present a strong avenue for identifying venture capital investment opportunities.
Now here are the stories behind the headlines:
- Our next SchmoozeFest event is scheduled for Thursday, September 3 and will be held at Art Center’s South Campus from 6:30 P. M. to 9:30 P.M. Our SchmoozeFests are a great way to either give a presentation of your latest endeavor or listen to the presentations become inspired. Then, after the presentations all the attendees are invited to network and introduce themselves to each other. So if you are planning on presenting start getting your slides and props together as we are just a little over a month away from a great opportunity for you to showcase your next great idea.
- The first day of classes during the fall term at Art Center at Night is Tuesday, September 8 (the day after Labor Day).
Our class “Crafting a Meaningful Career- Part One, Discovering the Dream" will run from Tuesday, September 8 to Tuesday, December 8, 7:00 to 10:00 P. M.
Our follow-up class to Part One is ”Crafting a Meaningful Career- Part Two, Forming the Dream" and it will be offered starting Thursday, September 10 to Thursday, October 15 from 7:00 to 10:00 P. M.
For more information about these and other classes you may call Art Center at Night at 626-396-2319, or you may go to their web site at http://www.artcenter.edu/atnight/main.jsp And you can always contact Tony Luna at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 818-842-5490.
On July 4 we were honored to attend an eightieth birthday celebration for His Holiness the Dalai Lama thanks to being notified by our own Justin Bastien who took portraits at the event. The title of the presentation by His Holiness was “Wisdom, Love and Compassion.” The celebration was magnificently hosted by Peakmind.org in the idyllic setting of Rancho Las Lomas near Irvine, CA. Moments like these are once in a lifetime and we cannot express our thanks enough. There are definite lessons from the presentation that will be a part of our Crafting a Meaningful Career classes, lectures, and workshops in the future. Click here to find out more about Peakmind.org, http://www.peakmind.org/
- Pete Van Law- Producer, Documentarian-
Help us finish our film. Time is running out! There’s still time to lend your support.
“FOR THE LIFE OF ME” is a film, documenting real stories about real people - all of them victims of history. But because they are so personal, they provide a link for present and future generations who would otherwise be denied the opportunity to find the parallels within their own lives.
That’s the reason we started this drive, to get individuals, like you to join us and help spread the word to your friends and acquaintances, and urge them to lend their support as well.
We’ve dedicated one of our perks to encourage that: For every $50 you donate, you can choose any institution, organization, school, university, church or synagogue, and we’ll send them a copy of “FOR THE LIFE OF ME”, along with a free Teaching Syllabus.
By making that choice, you’ll be doubling the benefit. Not only will you be helping us, but also you’ll be giving that institution a teaching tool through which this intensely personal story can act as universal model to reach young and old alike.
I hope you’ll lend your support. Here’s where to go: http://bit.ly/1zSg3oO
|Dynamite Starfish's photo|
Hey guys! You may have already heard, but the Bishop tees are FINALLY here! And girls, there are tanks too.
If you didn’t know, I partner up with a different organization for each shirt to donate a portion of its profits to. I chose the Friends of the Inyo for this particular shirt because they do an awesome job keeping the Eastern Sierras a place we want to keep going back to. Their work isn’t always about climbing, but as people who partake of the outdoors, it’s important to preserve the wild places of the world.
New women's tanks and men's tees are in the Dynamite Starfish online shop!
Use code BISHOP for 10% off.
If you're picking up from me directly, I will refund your shipping cost.
Thanks everyone for being a part of this adventure and for all of your much appreciated support. Love you all!
Leslie S. Kim
- Paul Gladden- Photographer and Graphic Artist-
“I’m so silly! I never checked back to see what may have happened with my entries until last night, and look what I found along with a certificate for honorable mention! In all fairness to myself, this was around the same time I was preparing to move out so I was probably sorta crazy, but still… lol!”
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
International Photography Awards Announces Category Winners of the 2014 Competition.
On September 30, 2014 the International Photography Awards competition (IPA) announced Category Winners of 2014 Competition!
This year, IPA received over 27,000 submissions from 104 countries across the globe and is pleased to declare that Paul was awarded Honorable Mention in a Nature - Flowers Category in the 2014 International Photography Awards (IPA) Competition for the winning entry "Gladden".
“Tony, I wanted to share that Monday, I’ll be joining the production team at Maximum Fun, who are independent products of radio shows and podcasts including Bullseye with Jesse Thorn which airs on NPR. I’m really excited about the opportunity as it’s really in line with what I have been hoping to do for the last several years. I’ll still be producing my podcast, but I am hoping that this opportunity provides me the experience to not only improve the production quality of the show, but also branch out into other things as well.
Thanks for your continued support and friendship.
Take care and all the best.”
- Soren Petersen- Design Research Ph.D; Author, “Profit from Design”
Design awards, technology and execution risk metrics present a strong avenue for identifying venture capital investment opportunities.
(Editor’s note: Here is the introduction from Soren’s article in the Huffington Post): “The INDEX: Award and Why It Matters for Innovation.”
The INDEX: Award inspires designers and business leaders to pursue breakthrough innovations for some of the world's major challenges. However, is the INDEX: Award selection process conducive to identifying breakthrough innovations that will make their way toward successful implementation?
Among the finalists from proven innovative businesses were home batteries from Tesla, cardboard 3-D glasses from Google and a flexible living space from IKEA. Concept finalists representing lesser-known businesses included a man-made leaf by Silk Leaf, a waste credit market by New Hope Ecotech, and a cheap paper microscope for identifying illnesses by Foldscope.”
Read the rest of Soren’s insightful Huffington Post by clicking on this link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soren-petersen/the-index-award-and-why-i_b_7566766.html
There you have it. Please continue to support the members of our creative community as they design meaning within their careers. Thanks to all for their informative and inspiring contributions.
If you are not on the mailing list and would like to receive owe monthly notices of these Updates please contact email@example.com. Conversely if you would like to be removed from the email list simply email firstname.lastname@example.org and write "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately once a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and design, and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Contributing Consultant to "Bokeh Magazine, The Art and Life of Photography," an online magazine for the iPads and iPhones.
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press and
"Mastering the Business of Photography: What the Pros Do When They Are Not Taking Incredible Photos" Skyhorse/Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals